Twenty-Nine

Fredricks

The confident woman that she was, was long gone, replaced by a shade of vulnerability and brokenness that left me speechless. A part of me hurt to see her in this manner which stirred me to embrace her, hoping that all her broken pieces would fix themselves back to as they once were. But of course, it was just my wishful thinking.

Ever since that ball, it became clear to me about the feelings she had for Nicholas, and I knew that Nicholas felt the same. Though I had taken a liking to Abbey, I knew that her feelings were not mutual.

"Claire, prepare a bath and take Abbey to her room." I instructed. Claire who stood behind Abbey for the whole time, was ready to let her motherly instincts kick in.

"I am so sorry for the mess. But if it's okay with you, could you accompany me to collect my belongings from Nicholas?" Her eyes were red and swollen from all the crying as she stared at my shirt. Looking down, I saw a wet patch of tears.

How could she still think of others when she is already in this state?

This girl baffled me in ways that I never knew before. "That is the least of your worries. Right now, what you need is some rest. Claire, please take care of her." I simply said as Claire quickly got ahold of her arm before escorting her to the room.

I could see how tired and emotionally tormented she was, and that itself stirred an unspeakable anger within that continued to grow the more I thought about how helpless she looked.

Knowing what I had to do, I instructed a butler to prepare my horse while I dashed into my room to get a new change of clothes.

"Sir!" I could hear Claire call out, stopping me in my steps, "where are you going?"

"To Nicholas'" I replied, clearly not in the mood for questions.

"But Sir, what am I to say if your father comes home?" The anxiety in her voice was clear and unmistakable. I guess Claire was too, startled by Abbey's sudden outburst.

"Leave that to me. Is she feeling better?" I asked.

"She is asleep."

"Alright. I will be back soon. In the meantime, do keep an eye on her." With that, I got on my horse and rode away with a stomach full of rage.

When I finally reached the mansion, I sprinted up the steps and slammed my fists on the door, which was later opened by a housekeeper that seemed a little older than Abbey.

"Sir Fredricks, you- ah!" I pushed through the door, knocking that housekeeper in the process.

"Where is Nicholas?" I hollered at her, who was now clutching her arm as she looked at me in horror. I was not one to lose my cool, but things took a different turn when it came to Abbey. Even the friendship between Nicholas and I would not save him now.

"What is with the noise?" Nicholas questioned as he strolled into the picture. The moment our eyes met, the restraint that held me back finally broke lose, propelling me to lunge myself towards him, greeting his face with my fist. I could hear a scream escape from that housekeeper, but I did not care, nor did I care about how much I resembled as that of a mad man.

"What on earth are you doing?!" Nicholas yelled as he held his bleeding nose. I on the other hand, struggled against the restrained by a young lad and that young housekeeper.

"You hurt her! Did you know what she looked like when she came to me?" I shouted. Nicholas fell silent at my words as his hand was still cupped over his nose. "You coward. If you really loved her, you should have told her to truth."