Chapter 2.11 (The duelling club)

A week later, Harry, Artemis, Ron and Hermione were walking across the Entrance Hall when they saw a small knot of people gathered around the notice board, reading a piece of parchment that had just been pinned up. Seamus and Dean beckoned them over. "They are starting a Duelling Club!" Said Seamus. "First meeting tonight! I wouldn't mind duelling lessons. They might come in handy one of these days..."

"What, you reckon Slytherin's monster can duel?" Laughed Ron.

"Could be useful." Dean shrugged.

"Am I the only one currently imagining this giant Slytherin Snake with no arms trying to hold a wand and duel and he can't and it's hilarious and-" They all turned to look at Victoria, who was holding her arms really close to her body, wand between her teeth, trying to get it to work....

They all stared blankly back at her.

"Fine. Whatever. Not funny, I get it." Victoria puffed, taking the wand from her mouth and walking away.

"Shall we go?" Artemis asked as the four of them walked to dinner. Harry, Hermione and Ron were all for it, so at eight o'clock that evening they hurried back to the Great Hall. The long dining tables were gone and a golden stage had appeared along one wall, lit by a thousand candles floating overhead. The ceiling was a velvety black once more and most of the school seemed to be packed beneath it, all carrying their wands and looking excited.

"I wonder who'll be teaching us?" Hermione said as they edged into the chattering crowd. "Someone told me Flitwick was a duelling champion when he was young....maybe it'll be him."

"As long as it's not....." Harry began but both he and Artemis groaned. Gilderoy Lockhart was walking onto the stage, dressed in robes of deep plum and accompanied by none other than Snape, looking like a bat out of hell.

Lockhart waved an arm for silence and called. "Gather round, gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent! Now professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little duelling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions...for full details see my published works."
He grinned. "Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape."

"Ten galleons that Snape wins in less than ten seconds." Dean said reaching out his hand to Artemis.

"I bet he does it in five." She took his hand. Hermione shushed them with an annoyed look on her face but Harry and Ron snickered softly.

"He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about duelling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potionsmaster when I'm through with him, never fear!"

Artemis bursted out laughing. "Don't worry, Twinkletoes, we don't fear for his life." She said loudly.

"No, we fear for yours!" Victoria laughed.

"I don't..." Elizabeth shrugged, leaning her shoulder against Harry's in a bored manner.

Lockhart dropped his smile and glared at the girls. He cleared his throat before continuing. Snape's upper lip was curling. Artemis wondered why Lockhart was smiling again. If Snape had been looking at her like that, she'd have been running as fast as she could in the opposite direction.

"Wouldn't it be good if they finished each other off?" Ron muttered and Harry nodded in agreement.

Lockhart and Snape turned to face each other and bowed. At least, Lockhart did, with much twirling of his hands, whereas Snape jerked his head irritably. Then they raised their wands like swords in front of them.