Chapter 6

"I had a lot of fun today, Anna" Ponyboy told me, tightening the grip on my hand briefly, as if it was his way of saying 'I love you.'

I smiled at him. "I did too, Pony" I replied.

I looked forward and caught him looking at me, from the corner of my eye.

I looked at him. "What?" I asked giggling.

"Nothing" he said, his voice soft. "You're just really beautiful" he continued.

Holy crap I thought. My cheeks grew red.

He started laughing. When we finally made it to my house, my parents, oddly enough, weren't home. The door was wide open.

"Okay.." Pony said. "Now that's weird" he continued.

Shit. A sudden sense of panic ran through me.

I released his hand, and slowly started walking up to the door.

"No. Anna let me go, let me check"  he told me grabbing my hand.

I gently pulled away. "I'll be fine Pon-"

"I'm not risking ANYTHING. Now let me go, please" he demanded.

I looked at the door, then back at him. Then, I ran in.

"Anna!" he fiercely whispered.

As I walked in the house, it was eerily silent. Pony closely followed behind.

"Damnit, Anna" he said turning me around, holding the back of my head, with his other arm around my waist. "They aren't here. Maybe they accidentally left the door open when they left. Plus, it doesn't look like a car is in the driveway at all" he continued. 

"It's in the garage, I-I-I saw it!" I replied, stuttering in aggravation with tears in my eyes.

"Hey, honey try and relax" he comforted me as we walked to the kitchen. "I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for thi-" he stopped dead in his tracks.

"Anna, Anna turn around "he said as he spun me around and guided me towards the living room.

"No, no Ponyboy! Stop what's wrong! What's wrong!" I yelled as I ran into the kitchen.

I paused. "Oh god!" I said in terror putting my hand over my mouth. There was a puddle of blood in front of the fridge, and my dad's glasses, which were now cracked.

"Jesus, I'm calling the police" Pony replied, running to my home phone.

I dropped to my knees, and every possibility in the world ran through my head. And then it hit me.

"Oh my god, Pony!" I shouted in terror before I drifted off in my thoughts.

7 days earlier.

My mom, dad, and I were eating dinner. It was a calm night. We laughed, talked, and ate. My dad was talking to me, but mostly my mom about how he had to fire one of his best workers today due to money issues.

"Is that what's been bothering you, honey?" my mom asked my dad.

He put his head down. "Yes. I'd rather not talk about him anymore" he replied.

My mom and I looked at each other. The accountant firm he owned is usually filled with nice, thoughtful people. I don't know why this one person is bothering him so much.

My dad suddenly stood up quickly, and looked at my mom.

"We need to talk in the kitchen alone. It's nothing against you Anna, it's just adult business" he looked at me, talking to me as if I was five.

I was a little irritated. "No, of course. I understand" I replied smiling 

After they walked into the kitchen, I went into my room, which happened to be right next to the kitchen.

"He just kept yelling.." I heard my father say. "He also...me. He said he was going to...me" I could only hear certain words from the conversation.

"Kill you!!  Jack threatened to kill you!?" my mother asked, stunned, and raising her voice slightly.

'Oh my god' I thought to myself.

"Shhh Sharon, shh!"  my father replied.

"..It's him!" I cried out. Pony looked perplexed.

"It's who, Anna?" he asked me putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Jack" I said in disgust. "It's him, it was Jack" I confirmed.