Chapter 17

Two days later on Monday, I picked up Ponyboy from football practice. Rumors that Ponyboy was a father ran rampant. We did our best to ignore them.

I pulled up next to the school, and Ponyboy came out with his gear, wearing a tight cutoff with shorts.

He hopped in the passenger side. "How are you?" He asked.

I laughed. "You know, same old. I was asked about your supposed child a total of six damn times today" I told him.

He sighed. "This is bullshit. You shouldn't be dragged into this Anna" he told me.

"Pony, it's okay. Almost everyone knows it's not true, anyway. They said it's hard to believe that you would to do anything remotely close to that. We just need to confront Mary about this" I explained to him.

He got quiet. "Yeah, that's actually something I was going to talk to you about. I got ahold of Mary, and told her to come meet me in the park. I'm going to confront her about it" he told me.

I got angry. "Ponyboy, why didn't you tell me earlier?!" I asked.

"Because, I just did it after practice. You can be there, I know a place for you to hide, so you can listen to the conversation" he told me.

"No no no, I'm not going to start a bunch of trouble, and then have her get pissed when she finds me hiding, snooping on your guys' conversation" I told him.

He grabbed my hand. "I want you be there to listen, but I don't want you there in person because she'll make up things to intentionally piss you off Anna. If she doesn't know you're there, she'll be more honest with me" he told me.

I sighed. "Okay, I'll come" I told him.

He smiled. "Thank you, Anna" he told me, leaning in to kiss me.

I smiled nervously, ignoring his attempt to kiss me. "Well, let's go" I told him.

He nodded his head, put the car in drive, and headed for the park.

••••

When we got there, Ponyboy parked the car and sat back.

"I want you to sit here in the car, I'll roll down the window a little bit, and you can listen. Just slouch down in your seat" he told me.

I glared at him. "Well, this is really well thought out, now isn't it?" I asked sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

He laughed, ignoring my sarcasm. "You'll be fine. My windows are a little tinted, anyway. She won't see you" he told me.

I nodded. "Why do you want me here, anyway?" I asked.

He turned to look at me. "Because, I'd be here alone with her, and I don't want you getting nervous about that. Plus, I want to prove to you exactly what she says, just in case she tries to lie" he told me, looking upset. He put his head down slightly.

I sighed, and grabbed his hand. "Ponyboy, I trust you. I always have and I always will. I promise" I told him.

He smiled, and then something must have caught his glance, for he looked back, and his eyes grew big.

"Duck down, she's here" he told me.

I nonchalantly slid down into the seat and my heart started beating fast as Ponyboy opened the car door and stepped out.

I heard his footsteps getting quieter as he walked back behind the car.

"Ponyboy! I knew you'd come running back to me!" Mary said all cheery.

Stupid bitch, I thought to myself.

"Shut the hell up" I heard him say, his voice grew loud. There was a silence.

"My my, now why would you treat a young woman with such disrespect?" she asked, still flirty with Ponyboy.

He sighed. "I usually treat woman with great respect, and I especially treat my beautiful and smart girlfriend with respect, something you're not doing" he told her.

Listening to him say that made me smile and get butterflies. I continued listening.

"Now, I would appreciate it if you told everyone the truth, and tell them that your goddamn baby isn't mine!" he shouted.

Mary stifled a chuckle. "Why not keep it up? It's pretty entertaining for me" she told him.

Holy shit, it really isn't his, she admitted it! I thought.

"You sick bitch!" Ponyboy said, disgusted.

She was now laughing. "I love you, Ponyboy Curtis. I always have. And we're going to be so happy together" she said a little more serious.

Ponyboy laughed angrily. "You don't love me, you don't even know me!" he shouted.

"I'll be sure to tell everyone that you're lying, especially my girlfriend" he said to her.

She laughed again. "And who the hell do you think is going to believe you?" she asked him.

I stepped out of the car and slammed the door shut.

"Me" I told her sternly. Ponyboy looked at me and his eyes grew wide, along with Mary's.

She smiled. "Well Anna, nice to see your conceited ass again" she said to me. I grew furious.

"I'd shut up if I were you" Pony told Mary with clenched teeth.

She looked at me. "Oh, you were serious? You really thought everyone would believe the two victims?" she laughed.

"Yes, the two victims, and  Rob" I said to her. She looked confused, as well with Pony.

Rob then walked out of the woods near the park, and crossed his arms.

Mary spoke. "What the hell is this?" she said.

"I heard Pony talking about coming to the park with Anna to meet you here. I knew your sick ass was lying, so I wanted to watch you admit it" he said to her.

Mary got angry. She looked at me. "Well, you got your way! Everyone's going to know I was lying, what do you want now?" she asked me.

I looked at her sternly. "I want you to admit it yourself to everyone as well" I told her.

She looked at me. "Fine, anything for the girl Pony chose so poorly. Sad to know he wants to be with an ugly bitch rather than me" she said, snarky and bitchy.

I walked towards her. "Yeah actually, one more thing"

"What?" she asked before I punched her square in the face and knocked her right on her ass.

I heard Pony and Rob lightly gasp. Mary picked her head up and held her bloody nose.

"Nice knowing you, stupid bitch" I said to her. I grabbed Ponyboy's face, and kissed him deeply. I then pulled away and walked towards the car, got in, and slammed the door.

Ponyboy and Rob followed, and the stress of all the rumors finally died down.