Chapter 16

*Anna's POV*

The following Friday, Ponyboy and I didn't see each other a lot in school, and when we did, he seemed worried.

After school, he quietly walked up to my locker.

I was relieved to see him. "Pony, are you okay? You've seemed worried all day" I said to him. He looked into my eyes, his filled with panic.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked again. He sighed.

"I need to talk to you. I'm so sorry" he said, shaking his head and putting it down.

My heart sunk. "God, what's going on?" I asked. He took my hand and we walked out to his car.

When we got in and he started the car up, he sat back.

"I know who this Mary girl is" he told me.

I grew angry. "You lied to me?!" I raised my voice. He put his face in his hands.

"Anna, I got drunk one night at a party over the summer coming out of our sophomore year. I was with all of my friends from the football team, it was mainly a party for them, actually" he started explaining.

I teared up. "I really don't like where I think this is going" I said.

He punched his steering wheel, startling me and making me jump. 

"Jesus Pony" I said. He looked at me.

"I was talking to Rob today. You know, he's on the football team, he's in our class?" he asked me.

"Yes, I know" I replied.

He continued. "I was talking to him about how I didn't go to any workouts for this football season over the summer because I was dealing with colleges, us seniors kind of get an advantage for that. After explaining everything to him, I was talking to him about this Mary situation. I asked him if he knew her, and he just went silent" he paused.

"She was at the party, wasn't she?" I asked, hurt.

He teared up. "Yes. And Rob said I went into a room with her and didn't come out for a while. I don't think I had sex with her, but I might have. Plus, Rob was completely hammered so maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about but I still could have done something" he said crying.

I stopped breathing, my head spinning. "Oh my god" was all I could manage before my anxiety took over. I started having a panic attack.

"All of this was a lie. I wasn't your first. When we had sex, you told me I was your first, and you lied!" I screamed at him.

He screamed back. "I don't know if I had sex with her!!! I don't know alright? I don't even remember being in there for very long, all I remember was that I kissed her and that's it. Baby, I'm sorry, please" he put his hand on my leg.

I grabbed his hand and threw it off. "No! Don't touch me!" I screamed.

After that, the car went silent. All I could hear was his muffled sobs as he cried into his hands.

He picked up his head. "I'm not finished" he told me, quietly.

I looked at him. "There's more?" I asked.

He started sobbing again. "Yes. She has a child" he told me, hitting his steering wheel once again.

My heart broke. "Oh my god, is it yours? Is this why she came back?" I sobbed.

He looked forward with a blank expression, almost as if he lost all emotion. "I don't know, but it can't be mine. I know I wasn't in there that long. It's not mine Anna I just know it's not. I don't even think I had sex with her" he explained.

I stopped crying, and calmed down. "How drunk were you?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "Not even that bad. I remember that night, although there are parts that I don't" he explained.

I sighed. "I didn't mean to yell, I just acted on impact because I'm scared" I told him.

He grabbed my hand. "No no honey, it's okay to be mad at me alright?" he told me.

"I'm not, because I know you. You wouldn't do anything like that, even if you were drunk. I've seen you drunk before" I told him.

He looked at me. "What? When?" he asked shocked.

I laughed. "Well, I had friends once, believe it or not. She told me that there was this party, it was during spring break of our sophomore year, and I went with her because I knew you were going to be there. You were so hammered Ponyboy, but when I watched you act the way you did, it was almost like you were sober. You're just responsible, and I know you better than anyone else" I told him.

He looked at me shocked. "I stopped all of that for you, you know. Around that time, I liked you too. I just didn't know how to say it, and now I wish I wasn't hammered that night so I could've actually remembered you being there"  he told me.

I sighed. "I didn't know how to say it either" I told him.

He frowned. "Rob said he heard her talking about me that night, and how much she liked me, and how she was going to win me over. I think she's coming back to tear us apart, because she knows I'm with you" he told me.

"I know you didn't get her pregnant, I know it" I said to him.

"We're gonna get through this, alright Anna? We're gonna prove her wrong" Pony told me.