Chapter 15

Ezra's POV

I paced the floors of my tower, trying to figure out what the dream meant.  I had somehow come up with the idea that it had something to do with the Force, but I didn't know what I could believe anymore.

As I paced, I looked to the com Barriss had given me before I left.  It had been four days since Jho told me she was with the Rebellion. I hadn't tried to contact her.  She hadn't tried to contact me.  But I was still worried.

If the dream I had came true, I didn't know if she would survive it.  The Ghost crew hadn't really come to mind when I thought about possible casualties, but I guess one person saving your live counts for a lot more than leaving you behind.

I continued pacing.

Finally, I decided I had
of it. I ran out of the tower with a speeder in tow and raced off to Jho's bar.

《~》

Barriss' s POV

I walked side by side with Ahsoka.  It had been four days since our reunion, but we were both still on edge.

"Barriss, Commander Sato wanted me to ask you something," Ahsoka said with a frown.

"And that is?"

"He wants you to go on a mission while the Ghost crew and I.  He wants to see how you fare in battle."

"But you don't want me to go?"

"Barriss, right now my opinions of where your loyalties stand are not important.  If you want me to truly trust you, you need to show me that."

"And how would I do that?"

"It will take more than doing one thing.  But for starters, I know you know something about Ezra that we don't."

"That is true."

"Then why don't you tell me?"

"Because if you won't trust me, I at least want one person in this galaxy who doesn't think I will try to kill them once their back is turned."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Ezra doesn't trust anyone from what we know.  He has lost the faith to trust in anyone ever again."

"I know.  He told me of a time when he was left behind to the Empire."

"Did he tell you who left him?"

"No."

"It was the Ghost crew.  They left him and never went back for him.  He could have been protected if he was saved.  Is he free now?"

"I can't say.  All's I can save, I guess is that he helped me escape and told me how to find you."

"Does he know why the Empire is after him?"

"Yes.  I told him about the Force."

"But you won't tell me where he is?"

"I don't even know where he is.  I just can't tell you if he is free or not."

"Barriss, you confuse me more every second.  You want me to trust you, yet you won't tell me what I want."

"That is something you need to learn about trust, Ahsoka. Sometimes secrets need to be kept."