Chapter Two

"I am here, Shadekit." The voice seemed to be coming from all directions. Shadekit was lost; the water was so dark that he couldn't tell which way was up and which was down. "Follow my voice." The cat spoke softly in Shadekit's ear. Her voice seemed magical.. From StarClan. It wasn't Frozenstar, though.
She continued to call to him, and he could do nothing but follow her voice. Soon he emerged from the water, gasping, and ended up digging his claws into the soft earth of the riverbank.

"Shadekit!" His brother's squeal took him by surprise. "You're okay!"

Shadekit coughed up water. "Yeah, I am." He pulled himself the rest of the way out of the water, shivering.

"We escaped!" Echokit purred, "It would have been easier if we had done it my way."

"Oh shut up, Echokit." Rainkit hissed, "We should go back now. Minnowleap will be missing us."

"Minnowleap doesn't care about any of us besides you." Echokit slapped him on the head. "Come on, we're going to catch a mouse."

"Wait! What's that smell?" Rainkit asked, panicked. Shadekit froze; the smell of cats had filled the air, but they weren't MudClan cats. GreenClan!

"We must have crawled out of the river on their side!" Shadekit realised. The river was the border between the MudClan and GreenClan territories. It began at the waterfall by the MudClan camp.

"Fox dung." Echokit cursed, "I wanted to catch a mouse. I can smell one.. Surely GreenClan won't mind of they lose just one mouse?"

"You can't be serious!" Rainkit cried, eyes wide.

"Keep your whiskers on. It's just one mouse." Echokit stood up, "Coming, Shadekit?"

"Uh..." Shadekit glanced hesitantly at Rainkit, then back at Echokit. She was right that Minnowleap, their mother, liked Rainkit more than Echokit and Shadekit. She hardly paid attention to them. Surely this would make her pay more attention to him? Or would she just hate him even more?

"Well?" Echokit's tail flicked impatiently. "We haven't got all night."
"Okay. We'll be right back." Shadekit said to Rainkit, before following his sister into the woods. He stayed somewhat behind her, ears pricked for GreenClan. But who would be out so early in the morning?

"Stay there, I smell mouse." Echokit told him. He sat down in the mud, watching his sister disappear into the bracken.

A moment later she appeared again, a limp brown body dangling from her jaws. "Check it out, my first catch!" She squealed, "I caught a mouse."

Shadekit was going to congratulate her, but someone else spoke first. "You stole a mouse, you mean." A large white tom appeared, leaping at Echokit.

Shadekit saw him pin her down, claws unsheathed. As he spun around, heart hammering, another cat appeared. Shadekit recognized him as Hawkstrike, the GreenClan deputy. There were two other cats at his side's.

It must be the entire dawn patrol, He realised. We are in BIG trouble.