Chapter Twenty Four

"These look like claw marks, not thorn cuts." Brownfur commented as he applied herbs to Shadepaw's wounds.

"Well I haven't been in any battles," Shadepaw snapped, his tail lashing.

"Calm, calm." Brownfur murmured.

"Don't treat me like a kit!"

"Don't act like one!" The brown medicine cat rose to his paws, anger burning in his eyes. "You can go back to your den now. You may want to take a break from training today. It's the halfmoon, so I won't be here tonight to hear your whining."

Shadepaw rolled his eyes and left, kicking dirt up behind him. He took a fish from the fresh-kill pile and settled down outside the apprentices' den.

Blurrypelt joined him. "I heard what happened."

"What? The thorn?" Shadepaw huffed, "It's nothing."

"No, I know you really fought," Blurrypelt lowered his voice, "In the dark forest."

"How do you know?"

"I guessed. Am I right?"

Shadepaw sighed, "Yeah. I fought Frozenstar. And won!" He added. Frozenstar had somehow woken him up, a pitiful escape plan.

"You're crazy." Blurrypelt curled his tail in amusement. "I saw Sparkle yesterday. Flamepaw chased her out of the territory."

"Really?" Shadepaw rose to his paws. "I have to find her."

"She went into GreenClan territory." Blurrypelt warned, but he didn't try to stop him as Shadepaw raced out of the cave.

***

Shadepaw stepped across the steppingstones, crossing into GreenClan territory. He could smell Spark's fear scent leading him into the woods. He padded along carefully, keeping watch for GreenClan cats. He soon saw them.

He ducked behind a bush, hoping that he wouldn't be seen. Nightwing and Morningpaw came into view, followed by another cat who Shadepaw didn't know. Coldstream, the deputy, was in the lead.

"I bet MudClan chased a kittypet into our territory." Nightwing was saying. He looked nervous, as if he recognized Spark's scent from the dark forest. "She's probably gone by now."

"Wait." The ginger cat stopped, "I smell something."

"What now?" Morningpaw rolled her eyes, "Another toad?!"

"No." He froze, "MudClan. Over here." He twisted his head and looked right at the bush where Shadepaw was hiding.

Shadepaw didn't move. Maybe they wouldn't see him. He took a step back as Morningpaw jumped forward and thrust her head into the bush. They made eye contact, Morningpaw pretended to look around, then she looked back at her mentor. "Nothing's there. Come on, maybe they went this way!"

The patrol raced off. Shadepaw silently thanked Morningpaw for not telling them he was there. She'd probably recognized Spark's scent.

Shadepaw crept off into the woods, going the opposite direction that the patrol had gone. He soon picked up Spark's scent again, and he found the ginger and brown cat cowering beneath a low branch.

"Spark!" He gasped, "You're okay."

"Shadepaw!" She jumped up, "Blurrypelt let some nasty cats chase me here."

"They were defending their territory." Shadepaw promised, "I'll take you back."

"Shadepaw?" She asked as he began to lead her back to his territory. "I have a question."

"What?"

"So I was wondering.." She stopped for a moment, whiskers twitching with nervousness. "Will you be my mate?"

Shadepaw hesitated. Did she have to ask this now, when they could be attacked at any moment? "Um, sure, I.." He froze when he smelled GreenClan scent, stronger than ever.

"Spark, run." He growled. "Run!"

The kittypet must have scented them too, because she didn't argue. She spun around and ran deeper into the territory, while Shadepaw headed for the border. Please don't let them catch me, he silently begged StarClan.

He reached the river, the GreenClan patrol right on his tail. He spun around, seeing that he was at a point of the river where he couldn't cross. He tried to head towards the steppingstones, but he was too late. He was trapped.

The GreenClan cats surrounded him, fur bristling and backs arched. The head of the patrol, Coldstream, took a step towards him. Shadepaw hissed, but guilt pricked at his pelt. They were only defending their territory.

It was the same patrol that had spotted them before; Coldstream in the lead, with Nightwing, Morningpaw, and the unknown ginger tom.

"I knew I smelled MudClan." The ginger tom spat, "What are you doing on our territory, you fox-hearted thief?"

Shadepaw took a step back, the rushing water of the river close to his hind paws. He had to get out of here. "I, um, I-" He searched for an excuse, but found nothing. The patrol looked ready to shred his ears.

Nightwing padded forward and grabbed Shadepaw by his scruff, his eyes threatening. He didn't say a thing as he began to drag Shadepaw into the bushes. Shadepaw let him, trusting his dark forest friend not to let him be hurt.

"No one told you to take him back to camp." Coldstream pointed out.

"What else should we do?" Nightwing demanded. "Hawkstar will talk to this troublesome apprentice." He spat the last words.