Chapter Seventeen

"It's just a game." Shadepaw lashed his tail. "That's all."

"What kind of game is this?" She demanded, "Kittypet?"

Spark hissed. "Why should I tell you?"
"Tell her, Spark. I'm your leader." Shadepaw reminded her, half joking.

"Leader?" Morningpaw echoed.

"We're playing Clan. Shadepaw is the leader, but he took a rogue name, Bloodshed. I'm called Spark, but my real name is Sparkle." Spark explained hesitantly, "Our Clan is called ShadeClan."

"That sounds fun." To Shadepaw's surprise, Morningpaw released him. "I won't tell anyone if you let me join."
"Join ShadeClan?"

"Yes, I want to be deputy." Morningpaw said.

"But Spark is deputy." Shadepaw argued.

"It doesn't matter! I don't mind at all!" Spark said. "Will you have a rouge name or a warrior name?"

"Warrior. How about... Morningstorm?" She suggested.

"Sure, Morningstorm. Welcome to the Clan?" Shadepaw said hesitantly. "I'm teaching Spark to hunt."

"Okay, I'll help." Morningpaw said. "Though I'm not a good fisher."

"Hey, Morningstorm?" Shadepaw asked, "How are things in GreenClan now that Stormstar is dead?"

Morningpaw glared at him. "Fine. Hawkstar is a fine leader. Coldstream is a fine deputy. Everything is fine."

"Well, in MudClan, a whole litter of she-kits was just born." Shadepaw boasted, "And we have tons of apprentices now. And two new warriors."

"Has Blurrypaw become a warrior at last?" Morningpaw purred, "I thought your stupid leader would never give him his warrior name."

Shadepaw was going to jump to Stripedstar's defense, but he realised that she was joking. "Anyway.. Spark was learning to fish."

"Right. How do we do that?" Morningpaw leaned over the water, raising a paw to look for fish. "There's one!" She reached into the water and touched the fish, then jumped back with a yelp. "Gross! It's so slimy!"

"Some warrior you are, Morningstorm." Shadepaw grumbled. Then, more loudly, he added: "Fish brain!"

"I'd rather hunt something else." Morningstorm turned away, "Coming?"

"Sure!" Spark jumped to her paws and followed Morningstorm up the slope. "Where are we going?"

"I have no idea. This isn't my territory." Morningstorm shrugged.

"That's why I'm leader." Shadepaw hissed. "Let me take the lead. I'll show you where to go and where not to go."
"Okay. That cave there.. What's that light coming from it?" Spark paused outside the entrance to the mooncave.
"That's the mooncave. It's where StarClan's messenger lives." Shadepaw told her. "His name is Thorncloud."

"Indeed it is." Rumbled a voice from inside the cave. Shadepaw jumped back when a massive black and white tom appeared from inside. His eyes glowed an unnatural shade of blue.

"Th-Thorncloud!" Morningpaw gasped. "I've only heard of you in tales from the medicine cats."

Thorncloud chuckled. "It's good to meet you, Morningpaw. I've heard a lot about you from my sister."

"Really?" Morningpaw gasped.

"I'm sorry for meeting with Spark!" Shadepaw blurted.

"I knew that you were. You cannot hide from StarClan, Shadepaw. We know all about your meetings with Spark-- and certain other cats." His eyes darkened.

Shadepaw guessed that he meant Frozenstar and her followers. "How do you know what goes on in my dreams?"

"What do you mean?" Spark asked. Her voice was barely a whisper.

"I'd like to know that too." Morningpaw demanded. "I just joined this game, but I'm still a part of it."

Thorncloud scanned the cats, his blue eyes resting on Shadepaw. "Yes, come inside, all of you." He turned and stalked into the cave, not bothering to check if they were following.

Morningpaw excitedly dashed after him. Shadepaw considered running, but he knew he'd get in great trouble for that. So he followed, Spark right at his side.

"I've tried speaking to Frozenwater before. She's very dangerous, Shadepaw, you have to understand." Thorncloud said. "You should not be speaking to her."

"I've heard of Frozenwater! She's visiting you in dreams?" Morningpaw gasped. "Why?"

"She's going to make me a leader." Shadepaw said awkwardly. "I'm going to rule the whole island."

"She's not a trustworthy cat, Shadepaw. There's no way for you to rule both Clans. It will end in bloodshed." Thorncloud warned.

"Maybe I don't care! So what if a few cats die? I'm going to unite the Clans under one ruler so that they will never have to fight each other for food. We won't suffer any longer, we'll work together and make the island a home to every cat." Shadepaw spat.

"I agree." To his surprise, Morningpaw spoke. "I would love to not have to battle anymore. So what if a couple of cats die?"

"It'll be worth the bloodshed." Shadepaw said.