Chapter Three

Shadekit managed to escape without being seen, skidding to a halt on the riverbank beside Rainkit.

"Oh, thank StarClan." Rainkit breathed, "You're back. Let's go, we shouldn't be here."

"You're right." Hawkstrike appeared from the woods, three cats behind him. One of them, the silver cat, was carrying Echokit by the scruff of her neck. Beside him, a rust colored she-cat held her prey. "Release the kit, Coldstream." Hawkstrike told the silver tom.

The silver tom dropped Echokit beside Shadekit. "Who is your mother, and what are your names?" He asked, amber eyes scanning the kits.

"I'm Echokit, and these are Rainkit and Shadekit." Echokit explained, shaking with fear. "I swear to StarClan that we were on your territory by mistake! We never meant to-"

"Quiet. Are you Minnowleap's kits?" He hissed.

"Oh, yes, we are." Rainkit spoke. He didn't seem as scared; he knew that Minnowleap wouldn't punish him as badly as the others.

Shadekit felt a wave of envy wash over him. What a spoiled little foxheart! He deserved punishment as much as Shadekit and Echokit!

"Well, let's bring them back to camp." Hawkstrike glanced at Coldstream, "You can talk to Stripedstar about what you and Skywing are planning."

Planning? Shadekit wondered. He wished that he was bigger, so that he could fight these GreenClan cats. What business did they have, bringing the kits back to camp? They were out of their territory; so leave them!

Shadekit let out a protesting mew as Hawkstrike picked him up. Coldstream picked up Echokit, and the fourth cat-- a solid black tom-- picked up Rainkit. The she-cat carried the mouse.

Shadekit winced when they reached the waterfall and Jaytail, still guarding camp, jumped up and called out an alarm. He'd wake the whole camp!

"Intruders!" He howled, ears flattening. A moment later, Stripedstar appeared at his side. Minnowleap followed, eyes frantic.

"Look at them! They've stolen my kits!" She cried, dashing towards the black tom and slashing at his eyes. He dropped Rainkit, spitting at her.

"I haven't stolen any kits! We found them on our territory, stealing prey." He defended himself, "We just brought them back to safety."

Minnowleap seemed to sense the honesty in his voice. She scooted Rainkit closer to her with one paw and dipped her head to smooth the fur between his ears. "Sorry, Nightwing. Is Coldstream with you?"

"Right here." Coldstream set Echokit beside Rainkit, his black whiskers twitching. Minnowleap muzzled his side happily.

"It's good to see you again." She murmured, "How are your kits?"

"Not well. They aren't getting along with Riversong's kits at all." Coldsteam sighed, "Skywing's milk still hasn't come, and it is difficult for Riversong to feed all five kits. My sons are very hungry." He added, with a thoughtful glance at Minnowleap's three kits.

Shadekit bared his teeth. Who was this cat, and why was Minnowleap so kind to him. He was a GreenClan cat! This clearly broke the warrior code. And who were Skywing and Riversong?

"I have the same number of kits as Riversong." Minnowleap reminded him. "I can't take them."

He wants to give his kits to MudClan? Shadekit wanted to scowl at the idea. GreenClan kits.. In MudClan! Though, this happened often enough. Both clans were still quite new, and many cats there were mixed with rogue, loner, kittypet, and Clan blood.

"I'm going to speak to Stripedstar about it." Coldstream went on, "The drought is bad, and our prey is thirsty. We are thirsty. Riversong doesn't have enough milk for her three kits, let alone five."

"The river is still running. Until it has dried, your kits will stay in GreenClan." Nightwing, the black tom, said.

"Who died and made you deputy?" Coldstream shot back, "It is for the leaders --and Skywing-- to decide what we will do with the kits. In the meantime, we need to focus on our lack of prey."

"Which brings us to our next problem." Hawkstrike stepped in. "Redpool, show them the mouse."

The Red she-cat dropped the mouse by Minnowleap's feet. "We caught your kits stealing our prey."

Coldsteam cast an accusing glare down at Echokit. The she-kit held her head high, unfazed by his cruel state. "Stormstar will be furious."

"Stormstar is old. He can hardly stand." Stripedstar suddenly appeared beside Shadekit. He remembered that she had been behind Minnowleap, and had heard their conversation. "It's a mouse. They haven't eaten it, so take it back to your territory. We don't want to hear it."

Shadekit stared at Stripedstar, surprised. Normally his leader was kind to Coldstream; he was her son, after all. He and Hawkstrike had gone to join GreenClan instead of MudClan for reasons that Shadekit didn't know.
Stripedstar didn't let the fact that he was kin overrule the fact that he was from the enemy Clan. "Coldstream, you shouldn't be here. Neither should you, Hawkstrike." She turned to her other son, "Take your patrol and leave."

"Why should we?" Nightwing growled, fur bristling. Redpool flicked her tail over his mouth to silence him. Nightwing ignored her, "You kits are escaping your camp, for no reason other than to steal."

"They're nearly apprentices. They're just eager to impress the clan." Minnowleap defended them.

Shadekit jumped to his paws. "Yeah, we're almost apprentices!"

Hawkstrike glared at Nightwing. "You don't speak for GreenClan. Leave, we'll all leave."

"I want to speak to Stripedstar." Coldstream protested. Hawkstrike nodded briefly to his brother, then led Nightwing and Redpool away from the camp.

"Jaytail, make sure they leave the territory." Stripedstar commanded the guard. Jaytail nodded, padding after the GreenClan cats. "Now, come with me, Coldstream. Let's talk about your kits."

"What about my kits? Won't they be punished?" Minnowleap asked. "Echokit and Shadekit have been terrible. Echokit even stole prey!"

Shadekit noticed that she left out Rainkit. Rainkit seemed to notice, too, clearly fidgeting with his paws. But Stripedstar had already thought of a punishment. "Echokit will wait an extra moon to be apprenticed." She announced, ignoring protests from the distressed she-kit. "She was the only one who stole prey. The others will not leave the nursery until they move to the apprentices den. Does any cat object?"

"No, Stripedstar." Minnowleap looked down at Rainkit. "This is an okay punishment."