Chapter Six

"You lied to me! You're evil, and that's why you aren't in StarClan!" Shadepaw lashed his tail, gray ears flat against his head.

Frozenstar growled deep in her troat. "I promised you power. Did you not think that you'd have to hurt some cat to get there?"

"What do you mean? I'll become leader just like any other cat! That's what you promised, you lying fox!" He wanted to attack her, but she was stronger than him. He was only dreaming, after all. What good would that do?

"It is not. Listen here: if you want power, come to me. But you won't get it as easily as being appointed deputy; where do you think the current one is going to go?" Frozenstar asked.

"She'll become leader when Stripedstar dies." Shadepaw said. He felt torn between his hunger for power and his loyalty to his Clan.

"You want to wait that long?" Frozenstar scoffed. "Who even says that she'd pick you? If you listen to me, Shadepaw, you won't only rule MudClan. You'll rule both Clans! You'll be indestructible."

"And why should I listen to you?!" Shadepaw cried. "Why should I do anything you say?!"

"I offered you power, but you have to work to get it. One or two cats may get hurt. What do you say?" She hissed, "I'll give you the chance to back out now. You have to choose now, between good and evil."

"Why wouldn't I choose good?" Shadepaw questioned. He was no longer mad; he was interested in what Frozenstar had to say.

"What will good get you? A nest in the warriors' den?"

"And in StarClan." Shadepaw replied firmly.

"You will always have a nest here, in the dark forest, if you join me now." She dipped her head, "You train with me, and I give you power. What do you say?"

Shadepaw closed his eyes. Would he ever fit in MudClan? His own mother didn't love him. The only close friends he had were Echokit and Rainpaw, but how long would that last? Until they grew older and made new friends, got mates, became warriors.

Did he want to live his life as nothing but a warrior? Wake up, hunt, fight, go on patrols... Every day, for the rest of his life? Or did he want to be stronger than that?

Yes, he decided. He wanted his name to live forever. Shadestar, that would be him. Every cat would know his name; every kit would hear the tale of the great Shadestar, who ruled the entire island.

"Yes." Shadepaw whispered, "Make me a leader."