Little things

"You okay?" he asks, and she shakes her head, not looking up from the tear-stained pillow.
"Sorry." he mumbles.
He sits down on the edge of her bed, rubbing her back gently as she cries.
She looks up, meeting his eyes briefly, and sits up, wiping a tear from her face.
He puts his arm around her shoulders, pulling her in closer.
"He's a jerk." he says, and she halfway giggles into his shirt.
They sit in silence for a minute, eyes closed as he leans over, their heads pressed together.
His mother would have killed for a picture.
Neither says a word as her hand slowly presses against his, but both smile as his fingers curl around.
She seems to lean in a little closer.
His hand moves down from her shoulder, his fingers running through her long blonde hair.
Neither realizes how awkward this could potentially be for them as best friends.
He gently kisses the top of her head before standing up to leave, but she won't let his hand go.
She continues to hold on tightly until he sits back down with her.
"Stay." she says, the first word she's spoken to him in hours. He brushes a piece of hair out of her face, and she leans over onto his shoulder once again.
She interlaces her fingers with his, smiling. Her blue irises disappear as her eyelids flutter to a close.
It lasts for several minutes, until he hears the door open downstairs and jumps.
She tries not to let the sadness on her face show as he pulls away, apologizing over and over as he leaves the room.
She sighs, falling backwards onto her bed.
"Oh no..." she murmurs, her eyes widening.
"I think I like Marco."