Ch 1: An Old Friend

Third POV

Bilbo peeks over some rocks on a high ledge and watches Azog and his Warg Scouts running along a ridge-line not far away, occasionally stopping to smell the air in their pursuit of the Company. Not finding anything, they continue on their way. Suddenly, Bilbo hears a snarl from the side, and ducks behind the rocks. He peeks out and sees a large bear watching Azog from another pile of rocks, snarling softly. Bilbo slowly sneaks away making his way down the rocks to where the dwarves and Gandalf are waiting to hear Bilbo's spy report. Zaliya is perched on a high tree, keeping watch to make sure nothing gets too close. 

"How close is the pack?" Dwalin asks anxiously.

Bilbo shakes his head, "Too close. A couple of leagues, no more, but that is not the worst of it."

Dwalin's eyes widen in horror, "Have the Wargs picked up our sent?" 

Bilbo continues shaking his head, "Not yet, but they will. We have another problem." 

Gandalf interrupts him worried, "Did they see you? They saw you!"

Bilbo begins to get frustrated, "No that's not it."

Gandalf smiles and turns to the dwarves, "What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material." The dwarves chuckle loudly in appreciation of Bilbo but Zaliya catches the look of exasperation on Bilbo's face. 

She jumps down from the tree to land in front of Bilbo, "Shut up you idiots, he's trying to say something."

Nodding his thanks Bilbo continues, "I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there."

Zaliya looks over his shoulder lost in thought, sniffing the air she asks, "What form did it take? Like a bear?" 

Bilbo looks curiously at Zaliya, "Y-yes. But bigger, much bigger."

Bofur puts a hand on on Zaliya's shoulder, "You knew about this beast?" Zaliya doesn't respond and turns, walking a few steps away her hands in her hair. Thorin moves to go after her but Gandalf puts up a hand and shakes his head. 

Bofur frowns in Zaliya's direction, "I say we double back."

Thorin sighs and shakes his head, "And be run down by a pack of Orcs?"

Gandalf turns to Thorin, "There is a house, it is not far from here, where we might take refuge." 

"Whose house? Are they friends or foe?" Thorin asks.

Gandalf sighs and says sternly, "Neither. He is a friend of one of us, the rest of us not. He will help us, or he will kill us." The dwarves look at each other in dismay, it appears that wherever they go, there will be some danger. 

"What choice do we have?" Thorin grumbles as a roar sounds from behind them. 

Zaliya spins around her eyes wide, "I know that roar!"

Gandalf peers at her out of the corner of his eye, "Come my dear, we have no choice but to move forward." She nods, her face turning serious. Grabbing Thorin's hand she leads the Company forward.

--- 

The Company is running through plains and across streams as Azog and his Orcs are racing through the forest. Both groups stop suddenly when an ear-splitting roar sounds nearby. 

"This way, quickly!" Gandalf yells. As the dwarves panic and run, Zaliya falls back to guard the tail of the company. As they exit the forest, they spy a house by a hedge in the middle of a plain. "To the house! Run!" Gandalf commands. 

The Company runs across the plain and Bombur, the fattest dwarf, outruns all the rest of them in his fear. They run through a gate in the hedge and reach the front door of the house, but it's closed. Bombur, who reaches the door first, throws himself against it but falls flat on his back when the door doesn't budge. The rest of the dwarves catch up and begin throwing themselves against the door, trying to open it. Zaliya looks back as a massive bear breaks out from the edge of the forest and runs toward them. She gasps in shock at the familiar creature.

Turning around she flings her hands forward, opening the door. The entire company except for Zaliya bolt inside the house. 

"Zaliya!" Thorin screams in fright as she turns to face the incoming animal. 

She turns back, her eyes black and her voice like ice, "Close the doors now!" 

Thorin shakes his head in anger and fright as she forces the doors to shut in his face. "Zaliya!" Thorin screams again as she turns into a large black bear. 

The dwarves stare at the door in shock as they hear loud bear growls and grunts. Oin peeks through a hole in the door explaining to the Company what he sees, "The large black bear, who I think is Zaliya is on the brown bears back. She's not hurting him, just preventing him from getting to us," Oin gasps in shock, "The brown bear is retreating, seems like he bowed to Zaliya. He's running back into the forest and Zaliya is just standing there. Oh wait she turned back into a human." 

Oin jumped back as the small hole in the door expanded, revealing Zaliya's frowning face. Her eyes have returned back to their brown color, but they appear to be dull and sad. Seeing the Company's curios faces she smiles, "No worries, you all are safe now," she shakes her head as Dwalin moves to open the door, "No need, I'll stay out here for the night and keep watch. You all get some good sleep and I'll see you in the morning." With that she blows a kiss at Thorin and the hole shrinks back into its original size. 

Ori turns to Gandalf, "What was the thing that attacked Zaliya?" 

Gandalf sighs and motions for the dwarves and Bilbo to follow him into the house, "That... is our host." The Company turn to him bewildered. Making sure Zaliya wasn't in hearing distance Gandalf explains, "His name is Beorn, and he is a skin-changer."

Balin frowns, "Like Zaliya?"

"Sort of, sometimes he is a huge brown bear; sometimes he is a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not overfond of dwarves."

Thorin scratches his beard lost in thought, "Didn't Zaliya speak of him?"

"Aye," Gandalf nods, "They were once best friends, but have not seen each other in over 100 years. Zaliya believed him to be dead until today."

The dwarves look at each other in dismay, and Thorin stares toward the door where Zaliya keeps watch. "Will she be safe?" he asks Gandalf. 

"Yes, she said she would see you in the morning and she will," Gandalf smiles, "Now get some sleep all of you! You'll be safe here tonight under Zaliya's watch. She won't any harm come to you all." 

The dwarves start spreading out through the house, and with one last glance at the door Gandalf joins them. 

It's the first chapter of the second book! Hope you all enjoyed it! What do you think will happen between Beorn and Zaliya? Tell me what you think in the comments and don't forget to vote and follow! Have a great week everyone.