Ch 4: A "Warm" Welcome

The dwarves are led over a bridge and into the Woodland Realm. After they pass through, Legolas addresses the guards of the gate as he tightly grips Zaliya's arm. "Close the gate."

Zaliya stiffens and turns toward the woods, sensing an approaching body heat. Smiling, she smells Bilbo's familiar homely sent. She turns as Legolas tugs her through the door, under her breath she murmurs, "Smart hobbit." 

Legolas keeps a firm grip on Zaliya's arm, yanking her off in a different direction as the dwarves are tossed in cells. "Come with me," he snarls. 

Meanwhile the elf in charge of Fili finds dagger after dagger hidden in his clothes. Kili, on the other hand, is having a different kind of struggle.

"Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers," he smirks up at Tauriel. 

She grins slightly, "Or nothing." As Tauriel haughtily slams the cell door shut and walks away, Kili looks after her with longing eyes. 

As the elves leave the dwarves alone in their cells, Dwalin and several others throw themselves against their cell doors. Balin finally yells at them, "Leave it! There's no way out. This is no Orc dungeon; these are the halls of the Woodland Realm. No one leaves here but by the kings consent." 

Thorin rests his head on his cell, "Zaliya will get us out of this," he says hopefully. 

As the dwarves wallow in frustration, Zaliya is brought before King Thranduil. 

"My dear Lady Zaliya, how wonderful to see you," grins Thranduil mockingly. 

Zaliya brushes off Legolas's hand and drops to her knee with a swoop of her hand, obnoxiously bowing to the ground, "The pleasure is all mine." 

Thranduil scowls, "Get up!" he spits.  "What are you doing here? Especially with a bunch of dwarves!?"

Zaliya blinks calmly at him, "That is not for me to share, if you wish to know the answer to that you must ask them yourself." 

"And so I shall, but first I must offer you a change of clothes. A dress perhaps?" 

Zaliya laughs, "From all the years you have known me Thranduil, have I ever come before you in a dress?" Legolas chuckles underneath his breath but quickly quiets from his father's glare.  

"Since you feel the need to mock me, I'll give you the pleasure of knowing my dungeons worst conditions," Thranduil smirks. 

Zaliya smiles and calmly says, "I'm sure I can handle your worst." 

"Legolas, take her away. I trust you, and you alone to carry out my commands. Nobody else is to lay a hand on The Keeper of Peace," Thranduil commands. "Someone else bring me The King Under The Mountain." 

Legolas walks over to Zaliya, firmly grabs her arm and strolls off. As they turned the corner, Legolas loosened his grip on her arm and after a few more feet, released her completely. 

Zaliya turned to him in surprise, "If you don't mind me asking... Why did you do that?" 

Legolas kept up his pace and sighed, "I don't agree with my father on a lot of things, and the way he wishes to treat you is one of them. I've heard the legends about you, and the powers you hold. If you wanted to, you could kill us all with a blink." 

"I appreciate your faith in me, and I give you my word 'I will not kill any Woodland elves'." 

Legolas nodded his head in acceptance as they approached a large dark cell. It was down the hall from the dwarves, and a few of them could see Zaliya. 

Legolas opened the door with a loud screech, and Zaliya got a whiff of rotten flesh and dried blood. She gagged as she slowly walked in, waving aside Legolas's apologies. All of a sudden Zaliya felt a sudden pain rush through her head. She collapsed on to the ground with a painful scream. Legolas spun around and grabbed her head, trying to keep her thrashing body still. Thorin and the dwarves also started yelling, trying to see what was happening to Zaliya. 

Zaliya felt excruciating pain running through her whole body, she tried to control her pain to find the source of this torture. Then a voice rang through her head, "ZALIYA", Gandalf's voice cried. At that moment the pain stopped and she sat up, almost ramming her head into Legolas. He scooted back as Zaliya shot to her feet and started pacing. 

"Are you---" Zaliya shushed him with a wave of her hand and continued pacing. Gandalf had crushed her pinecone and was in need of desperate help. She couldn't abandon the dwarves and go to her adoptive father. A small tear slid down her cheek to know of the pain he was in. Coming up with an idea, Zaliya formed a small owl out of light, whispered in it's ear, and sent it off to Gandalf's rescuer. Hopefully they would get there in time to save him. 

"My lady, is everything okay?" Legolas asked as the owl flew past him. 

Zaliya turned to him looking exhausted, "Unfortunately not, but there's nothing I can do about it." 

Legolas sighed in sympathy, "Let me get you a glass of water to freshen your mind." Zaliya nodded in thanks as he walked out of the cell, locking it behind him. 

"Zaliya!" a voice whispered. 

She grinned and pressed her forehead against her cell door, "About time you bloody hobbit!" 

Bilbo suddenly appeared in front of her, "How'd you know it was me?" 

Zaliya winked at him, "Must you ask?" 

Bilbo grinned, "I got the keys for the dwarves cells, but not yours. Can you blow the dwarves off the hinges or turn into something small to fit through the bars?" 

Zaliya leaned back on her heels and smiled, "I could, but I won't. Get the dwarves out of here and I'll meet you on the way." 

"But--" Bilbo stopped as Zaliya shook her head. 

"Go my friend, you do not have much time!" 

Hey guys! Hope you all have been having a great summer. I know a lot of you are probably upset with me not updating in a looonnnnggg time, and I give you my most sincere apologies. Hope you all enjoyed this short chapter, remember to give it a vote. Another chapter will be heading your way soon. 

Question of the Chapter: 

Why do you think Zaliya didn't want to go with Bilbo when he came to rescue her?