Ch 3: Yucky Webs

Third POV

The company rides rapidly across the land, slowing to a stop as they approach a looming, gloomy-looking forest. Gandalf dismounts and Zaliya flies from Thorin's shoulder to Gandalf's. He walks to the edge of the forest through an ancient archway. 

Zaliya jumps off his shoulder turning into a human, "The Elven Gate." 

Gandalf smiles and her and turns to call to the others, "Here lies our path through Mirkwood." 

Dwalin dismounts, scanning the fields, "No sign of the Orcs. We have luck on our side." 

Zaliya squints as she sees something in the distance; it is Beorn, in his bear form, watching them from a distant ridge. She smiles and waves at him, "Set the ponies loose," Zaliya says, "Let them return to their master." The dwarves and Bilbo dismount and begin taking their supplies off the ponies. 

Bilbo approaches the forest on foot, staring up at the vast trees, "This forest feels...sick, as if a disease lies upon it. Is there no way around?" 

Gandalf looks at him sadly as he walks into the forest, "Not unless we go two hundred miles north, or twice that distance south." Zaliya pats Bilbo's shoulder comfortingly as she walks over to Nori who is struggling to unsaddle Gandalf's horse. 

Suddenly Gandalf emerges from the forest, "Not my horse! I need it." 

Zaliya and the Company look up with a start, "You're not leaving us?" Zaliya asks.

Gandalf sighs looking over at a shocked Bilbo, "I would not do this unless I had to." He strides toward Thorin, "I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me." 

Thorin nods at him, "What about the forest? We need your help getting through." 

Gandalf shakes his head chuckling, "You have more than enough help standing beside you. Zaliya is a much better guide in these parts than I am." 

At that Zaliya walks forward, "That does not mean you have to go."

"My dear," Gandalf smiles down at her, "I have been summoned elsewhere, and as a Guardian you must stay and keep the Company safe." 

Zaliya bows her head, "Still, I'd like you to leave with something," she grabs his hand. Wriggling her fingers a small pinecone forms in Gandalf's palm. "If you are to need my help, simply crush the pinecone and I shall either send help or come myself." With a last hug, Gandalf rides off. 

Turning to the Company she says seriously, "This is not the Greenwood of old. The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion. It will seek to enter your mind and lead you astray."

Bilbo asks sheepishly, "Lead us astray? What does that mean?" 

Zaliya doesn't answer, her eyes intently focused on the forest. "Dwalin you lead, I'll follow in the back." 

Thorin grabs her hand and waves everyone else forward, "Come on. We must reach the mountain before the sun sets on Durins Day." 

The Company enters Mirkwood. As the dwarves and Bilbo keep following the path through the forest, it twists and turns over all sorts of terrain such as bare ground, high ledges, fallen tree trunks, and more. 

Dwalin thumps the handle of his hammer on the ground to find the paving stones of the trail. "This way," he announces. Unknown to the others, Zaliya is lagging behind, walking slowly, her face very pale.   

They continue walking until Nori, who is in the front abruptly stops. Thorin calls from the back, "Keep moving, Nori, why have we stopped?" 

Nori gapes at the ground, "The path... it's disappeared!"