Zero

Warning: As you begin to read this story, please keep in mind that these character's are older than any of the character's I have written in the past. Therefore, there will be mention of mature content.

Just to be clear, this part is a memory. xx Cassie.

||Zero||

"How far of a fall do you think it is?" I ask as I hold my hair to my neck so it won't get in my line of vision. I peek over the edge of the building, holding my breath after I speak because there's a tiny part of me that is scared I'll fall over, yet, that doesn't keep me from standing on the ledge, thirteen stories up. "A few seconds, or something close to a minute?" I ponder.

"Careful," Justin warns as he notices how close to the edge I'm standing. "Wouldn't want you to fall, now, would we?"

I look away from the streets, cars, and people that roam down below, and glance over my shoulder, my eyes catching his almost instantly. My heart clenches and I have to inhale sharply to catch my breath. "And if I do?" I ask him, but the tone of my voice suggests I'm not talking about physically falling off the building we're standing on. I'm talking about a whole other meaning of the word 'falling'. "If I fall- will you catch me?"

The corner of his lips twist upwards into a smile, understanding the deeper meaning behind my question, and takes a few steps closer, his hands stuffed in the front pockets of his ripped black jeans. "I'll always catch you."