Seven

||Seven||

Jade's birthday party was being held at a hotel, on the rooftop. Robert and I had planned the entire thing about six months ago, although including him in the planning process would be a stretch. Basically all he did was give me his credit card information and told me to throw his girl the best party she's ever been thrown.

And that was exactly what I did.

It was everything she never expected to be thrown for her, including all of her friends and even her brother and her sister-in-law. She spent the first hour greeting and thanking everybody for coming and then spent the rest of the night practically glued to Robert's side.

I loved seeing them together. It was as if they were made for each other, and after everything that they had to deal with when we were younger, I was more than positive that they were each other's soulmates.

Lifting my drink, Jim Beam and Sprite, up to my lips, I take a sip and look away from the party. I've been standing at the corner of the rooftop, mingling with whomever I knew from before moving out to Texas. I had already spoken with Brie and Tony but I had yet to see Karrie, Dom, and a few others. I missed my friends but it was different now that we hadn't seen or spoken to each other for a while. Sure we kept in touch after I moved but eventually we all got too busy and lost touch.

Taking another sip from my drink, I glance over my bare shoulder at the view of the city. San Diego was truly beautiful. From across the rooftop, I spot Jade standing with Brie, Dom, and a few other women who I have never met before. She's wearing a black dress that hugs her body in all the right places and her hair falls down to her shoulders in loose waves.

I smile at her and raise my drink to her but she just stares at me, wine glass clutched tightly in her hand as she stares at me standing in the corner by myself. She knows what I'm doing. She knows exactly why I'm standing in the corner, drinking by myself. She knows who I'm trying to avoid.

Come here. I can practically hear her say as she gives me a deadly glare. The narrowing of her eyes say it all. Stop hiding.

Sighing, I push myself away from the table, straighten out my red dress, and grab my drink.

It's her party. I'll socialize if she wants me to.