Twenty-Two

||Twenty-Two||

"I was waiting for you," I admit to him, hating myself the moment the words slipped off my tongue. I never even admitted that to Jade. Every time she asked how I was doing and if I was putting myself out there again; I always lied to her. "And then I ran into your mom and your sister at the store and Lyn accidently let it slip how you had a new girlfriend. That's when I knew I was wasting my time waiting for someone who was obviously not going to come. That's when I stopped waiting for you."

We hold each other's gazes for a while, neither one of us saying anything. I've said what I needed to say and now it's up to him but it seems he isn't going to say anything. We sit there for a few minutes until I've had enough.

I reach for my purse and grab a couple of twenties from my wallet, dropping them onto the table as I push my chair back and stand. "I think we're done here." I tell him as I slip my purse onto my shoulder and straighten up.

He doesn't say anything, nor does he make any moves. He just sits there and watches as I walk away.

I almost laugh as I walk out of the restaurant and onto the busy street.

Ironic how one of us is always walking away from each other.