Sugar Is Sweet

Osomatsu startled you with a hug from behind, apparently woken up from a nap. He found you reading and obviously in deep thought.

"Oi. Why the serious face (Name)? You're not usually this quiet." He offered you a cheeky grin.

You set down the book and sighed.

"I should be saying the same to you."

It was true, after all. Osomatsu was quieter and more distant around you than usual. You wondered if it was because of what happened the other day.

"Heh! I can see right through you sometimes, (Name). You act so uncaring and such but I know you care about me!~" He teased, his own attempt to lighten the mood.

"Better hope so." You chuckled, wondering if his statement was a reflection of what he was really feeling.

That's how he was, fluently blending in his true emotions in his everyday shenanigans. You couldn't imagine how he could bare all of that.

You consciously placed your hand over his as if to assure him that you were here. He didn't seem to get the message as his hands instantly slipped from around you.

'He has no tact, honestly..' You thought hopelessly.

"Hey, (Name)..." You heard Osomatsu start up.

"What's up?" You turned to give him your attention.

"I....please don't leave me. A poor NEET like me, ya know?" He chuckled nervously.

You could tell he was trying to cover up his emotions, but it showed so honestly on his face.

"Osomatsu.. I wouldn't leave you, okay? You need to fulfill your goal of being the best NEET in the world after all." You laughed at saying this aloud.

"Y-You remembered, (Name)-chan!" His eyes grew wide, apparently caught off guard by this.

He cupped your hands by his cheek and closed his eyes for a moment. Opening them he said, "Heh, you might be wife material after all, thanks."

You felt your face reddening as he swiftly drew you into another hug.

"I-I thought I told you before about doing things like that all of a sudden." You murmured.

"It's okay, (Name)," he spoke quietly, "it doesn't hurt that much anymore."

Words caught in your throat as you finally understood.

'Did I ever notice it before?' The fleeting thought entered your mind as you closed your eyes.