Awakening of a 40's Girl

I watched Bucky's good friend Steve do his drills. He couldn't even do one push-up. But the boy had heart and a lot of it. That was proved when the fake grenade was thrown and he had thrown himself on top of it just to protect a team that didn't really care about him yet. 'Such bullies. Steve was willing to risk his life and all they care about is their own asses!' I think to myself. As the men walk away Steve looks up to the Colonel.
"Is this a test?" He asks with a quizzical look on his face.
Doctor Erskin and Colonel Phillips share and glance. "He's still skinny." Said the Colonel and walked away. I smiled to myself. 'Steve's in! The Super Soldier program has excepted him!' I think.
I start to hear beeping. It's ruining my perfectly good memory. Wait beeping? 'Am I dead?' I think to myself. 'No. I can't be dead. If I was dead I wouldn't be breathing. And what's holding my hand. And where's the metal one?!' I jolt myself awake, my eyes wonder frantically to my right stump. That's right. A stump! Someone took my metal arm.
"A-a-alex?" I heard a familiar voice ask. "It's me. Steve."
I turn my head to his direction, I keep my head down looking at the end of the bed.
"Hey. Look at me."
I shake my head. "I can't."
"Yes you can. It's ok. You don't have to be afraid."
"I'm not afraid of you Steve. I can't face you after what I've done."
"It wasn't you that did that. That was the brainwashing. Your you again. Your still the girl I fell in love with in the 40's."
I look up to Steve and smile. "So you aren't mad at me?"
"Of course I'm not. I love you." He kisses my head and runs his fingers through my hair. I then start to think about the unnerving issue of my metal arm being gone.
"Where is my arm Steve?"
"Tony has it. He was checking your's and Bucky's arm to make sure there was no kill switches. Bucky's was safe. Tony thinks yours is fine too."
"Ok. It just freaked me out."
"I understand."
"I'm sorry I ran."
"Don't be. I know you were worried about talking to me. But you feeling ok about it now?"
"Yeah. I've missed you Steve."
"I've missed you too."
He kisses my head again and sits on the side of my bed. I sit up a little and wince from the pain of the wreck.
"Take it easy." He says and wraps a gentle arm around me. I nod.
"How's Bucky doing?"
"He's ok. Unconscious from the wreck, but he'll be perfectly fine."
"Ok. As long as he's going to be ok."
"So what do you remember?"
"That's the question on everyone's mind."
"I know. But we can help you get your memories back if you can tell us what you remember."
"I remember you, Bucky, Doctor Erskin, Colonel Phillips, uhm I remember my death..." I trail off.
"Hey. It's ok. I know it's a scary thought. But your ok now."
"That's really it. I can't remember anything else."
"You sure?"
"You think I'm lying?"
"No. Course I don't."
"Sorry. I just don't wanna be reassured about what happened to me in the 40's nothing is alright about that. It haunts me at night."
Steve just looks down. He eyes fill with sadness.
"Steve, I didn't mean to upset you."
"It's alright. But I know how it feels to be haunted by your own death. I still have nightmares of mine. When I put the plane in the water and when they pulled me out of the ice."
I hug Steve with the one good arm I have. He hugs me back tightly.
"I've got an idea." Steve says. "How about we take a little while and just talk. I've missed just talking to you. I can tell you some things you might not remember and I can tell you a little bit about what's new in the 21st century."
"That sounds nice." I say with a smile.

We talk for hours. In these hours we're visited by Tony, one of Steve's Avenger friends, and he connects my arm back to my stump. Bucky also wakes up and the three of us just take some time and talk about stuff like back in the good old days. Eventually we all get tired around midnight or so. Bucky goes back to his room and I lay back in my bed. I look at Steve who is thinking about going to his own room.
"Stay." I say sleepily and scoot over for him to lay down. He smiles and lays down beside me. Wrapping an arm tightly around my waist. I fall a deep and peaceful sleep. The first I've had in a while. It helps knowing that Steve is here.