Chapter Seven - The Dreaded Talk

Looking across the table, I suddenly wondered if there was a way I could slink out before I had to explain everything but considering that there were numerous sets of eyes locked on my face, I was guessing no.

Once I had made my abrupt announcement, the man they all referred to as Owen had ordered all of the children upstairs while I followed the adults outside to their entertaining area.

Uncle's two boys had politely brought out drinks while we settled around a massive wooden table.

"So," Owen began, those steel eyes emotionless behind black-rimmed glasses. "I have to say that you have me intrigued, Miss..."

I cleared my throat, "It's just..."

"Celestia," Kota finished warmly, sending me a small smile. "She was one of my best students at Ashley Waters."

That seemed to have everyone looking even harder at my face.

I nodded, "Unfortunately my mother decided against passing on a last name so I'm stuck with a mononym."

Owen sighed, "Very well, Celestia. Perhaps, you could start from the beginning?"

"Of course," I looked down at my fingers moving restlessly over the box sitting before me just so I wouldn't have to look any of them in the eyes. They were a different bunch, each with a very solid sense of style which should have made them clash but instead made them seem as though they fit like a perfectly crafted puzzle. "I've lived in Sunnyvale Court my entire life and for as long as I can remember, my mother told me that one particular room in my house was to stay off-limits. No one ever went in and the door always stayed locked. I'll admit that curiosity nearly got me into trouble but for eighteen years I followed that rule," I took a breath, blinking away sudden tears, "until the night of my mother's funeral. She was gone so I figured that there was nothing stopping me. I found the pin key and opened the door." Knowing that there were ten sets of wide eyes locked on the top of my head as I refused to look up didn't make telling them this any easier. "At first I thought that maybe my mother had lost a sister and the family had found it too painful to dismantle the room but there had never been any mention of another girl and the room was..." I tried to find the right word, "lonely. It was a bit of a letdown really – clothes in the cupboard, a bookcase, stereo and violin sitting on the bed but nothing more until I found the entrance to a small attic space."

Hearing someone choke, I looked up and into a set of beautiful green eyes, "It was amazing, carpeted and renovated. I found a wall covered in photographs of a gorgeous teenage girl and nine boys. I didn't know what to think and there was no one to ask but then I found something else." I lifted the box's lid slightly and pulled out the journal to place it on the table. "The journal of Sang Sorenson. I'm sorry that I pried into something so private but..." I smiled as a tear streaked down my cheek, "I'm glad I went looking because if I've put everything together right, you're my aunt. Marie Sorenson was my mother and, I think, your half-sister."

There was moment of absolute silence before Uncle and all of the boys looked across from their seats to Sang as she valiantly tried not to cry.

"How couldn't we have known? A daughter and...her passing," She whispered.

"I am so sorry," I replied even though she hadn't been talking to me. "I wasn't even sure if this would be a good idea since we've never known about one another but, I guess, I got obsessed with the idea of having more family and circumstances might have me moving out of Charleston soon. I just really wanted to meet you all at least once."

Honestly, I expected at least some of them to be skeptical about my story but instead I looked around the group and saw shocked joy, heartache and an apology.

"When did your mother pass?" A man with short blonde curls and green eyes asked as he seemed to search for something in my face.

"She died earlier this month," I answered, my heart hurting as Sang seemed to huddle inwards for a moment. "If I would have known, I could have..."

Mr Lee smiled gently, "It's not your fault, Celestia. I'm just sorry that I never even considered the possibility that Marie had a child." He steepled his fingers, "When Sang was nearly eighteen, her step-mother succumbed to a long battle with cancer, her father was long gone, and Marie inherited the house. She threw Sang out and ordered us all to stay away from her, she wanted no contact. At first, we thought to keep an eye on her from afar but..."

Sang straightened, "But I decided that we needed a clean cut. We moved in here to start our lives together and Marie was simply a part of my past. I made sure that none of the boys ever impinged on her privacy and that's what led to us never knowing about you." She suddenly lunged across the table, startling me, "I would have been there for you if I'd known, Celestia."

"We all would have," Luke agreed, looking as saddened as the others. "Uncle's talked about his little Tia for years but every time we came in, you were never there and without a last name..." He shrugged helplessly.

Having said everything I had planned, in the mirror no less, I was without words, looking around the spacious backyard as everyone took a moment to process the news. I was bringing a hell of a lot of baggage with me.

"You don't really look like her," The scary one, North, muttered. "I mean, you've got the hair and eye colour but Marie was taller and more solid."

Sang sent him a glare, "Don't be rude."

He grunted at her even though I saw a slight softening of his gaze, "I'm not, Sang Baby. I'm just telling the truth. Her face is familiar but she doesn't look like Marie."

"I agree," The man with fire bright eyes agreed, his lips tilted softly. "She's smaller than you were at sixteen, Princess."

Almost not wanting to ruin their conversation, I geekily raised a hand before they had a chance to start in on the father questions, earning myself a chuckle from Mr Lee, "You graduated school, Celestia. No need to do that anymore."

Blushing, I looked down at the box again, "I just realised that I don't know who is who. All of you are mentioned in the journal but I'm not quite sure..."

Owen grimaced, "Our manners are lacking. I apologize, Celestia." For some reason he seemed to almost choke on my name before he turned to politely wave at each person. "You obviously know Sang, Kota, North and Lucian, and I believe you know of my name but we also have Gabriel, Victor, Nathan, Silas and Sean."

"I'm the handsome doctor," Sean winked, pulling a giggle out of me.

"Thank you," I smiled, pushing the box over towards my aunt. God, I had an aunt! "All of the other stuff is still in the bedroom at home but I thought you might like to have these."

She accepted, curiosity brimming in her expression before she slipped off the lid and tears began to fall again. "I thought these were lost or would have been destroyed." We all watched her expectantly as she carefully handled a pile of photographs and a variety of small items including a gold bracelet. "Thank you, Celestia."

"Well, I, for one, have a lot of questions," Silas rumbled, startling me after his long silence. He was a veritable giant but his smile was gentle and warm. "Not to mention we have an army of children currently trying to spy on us."

I laughed, looking over my shoulder until I spotted a group of faces hanging out of an open window.

"It's been many years since I've been at a loss for what to do next but I suppose we should head inside and get to know one another better," Owen suggested, pushing back his chair.

Gabriel seemed to burst out of his spot, blue eyes blazing with intensity, "I've been so fucking good and haven't said anything before now but I've really got to ask you an important question."

"Yes?" I asked with caution.

His face was a mixture of expectation and unhappiness, "Who the fuck dressed you?"