A Report

When walking into the emergency department, one expected a degree of panic and desperation to be wending its way through both patients and the loved ones that they had brought along with them, but when Riley finally managed to find the correct entrance, he wasn't prepared for the scene that greeted him.

The cousins were easily recognisable since he had seen the photograph in Celestia's house and he'd had the pleasure to meet her Uncle Gabe but the waiting room seemed to be swelling with a ridiculous amount of people, all who were yelling over the top of each other.

"We are here for Celestia Blackbourne," a man in a slick grey suit informed the harried-looking receptionist. "She was transported here by ambulance and I believe is currently being treated by Doctor Sean Green. I would just like to be able to speak to him."

"I would be happy to page him for you, Mr Blackbourne, but as you are all well aware, I am not allowed to give out any information regarding a patient unless you are a parent or guardian."

"Bitch, who are..." a stocky young man with dark skin and hair yelled over the rest before a giant with a striking resemblence whacked him on the back of the head.

"What have we told you about your language, Mason? I ever hear you talk to someone like that and I'll give you over to Axel for some training in manners."

"That will be fine," another man with brown hair and glasses murmured in the direction of the receptionist, ignoring the swearing of the boy. "We'll go into one of the private rooms if that's ok."

Standing there with his backpack slowly falling from one shoulder, Riley bit his lip in indecision. He'd gotten a message on his phone from an unknown number that Celestia had been taken to the emergency room after an accident at home but when he'd tried to call, no one had answered the phone. It had taken every cent of his savings to catch a cab from the college but now that he was there, he felt a tad stupid.

Sure, Celestia was a friend and someone who had been kind enough to take pity on him but he didn't know any of her family and it was blatantly obvious that he wasn't needed to sit by her bedside.

"Oi, kid," an irritated voice grumbled from in front of him, his vision suddenly filled by the only person that he had met. "Are you planning to stand there all day like a stunned mullet? We're going into a different area so you'd best follow me."

"Ah," Riley tripped after her uncle, clutching onto his strap. "What happened? Where is she? I got a message off of someone but no one would answer when I tried to call."

Gabriel glanced over his shoulder at the tall teenager, his eyes lingering on the torn jeans and loose t-shirt. "We had one of the boys send that to you so you didn't go back to the house or freak out when you couldn't get in contact with Celestia." Pausing outside of a set of swinging double doors, he faced the youth and sighed, heart still racing with worry for his niece as they waited impatiently for some kind of news, "Listen, Riley, you seem like a good kid and Celestia has been really happy about having you around but there are a lot of things that she hasn't been able to tell you, things which concern her Aunt Sang."

"Your wife?"

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Gabe made a quick decision and held up a hand while he leaned into the other room and called for Owen. For the sake of their family's privacy, the circumstances surrounding their current lives had remained within a very select group and it wasn't often that they risked exposure but for the poor boy who was as white as a ghost, he was willing to take in another stray.

Of course, there were also measures in place if anything ever threatened the life that they had created. Unpleasant ways for people to disappear.

Suppressing a giggle at his own thoughts, Gabe grabbed Owen's arm and dragged him out and introduced them to one another, his eyes silently telling his brother that they may have to bring him into the fold for Celestia's sake.