Chapter Thirty Three - Lost Girl No More

Weeks Later

Sitting in the uncomfortable chair, Celestia peered out of the window to where the colour of the leaves were slowly beginning to change. It had been hard to get back on track after her stay in the hospital but with her school work back on track and the guest house finally set up, she felt a great sense of peace.

Derrick had finally flown back to his home upstate but a few times a week when she was able to check her emails, there was always a message from him. It appeared to have been bumpy for him when he'd finally gotten up the courage to tell his family about her but now plans were being made for her grandparents and aunt to visit Charleston before winter set in. It was an amazing feeling, an absolute contentment that she was almost wary of.

Less than twelve months ago, her life had seemed like a never-ending nightmare but now she was, finally, living a normal, steadfast life with a family that absolutely doted on her.

They were spoiling almost too much but no matter how many times she said something, one of her uncles would just back up with an unnmovable, stubborn expression on his face. Then they just did whatever the hell they wanted to anyway.

That was how she had found herself living, rent free, in their three bedroom guest house with Riley as a seemingly permanent housemate. After a few days of settling in, he had opened up enough to explain that, although he loved his family, his father was a fifth generation mechanic who hated the idea of his pansy son studying art instead of something that would benefit their name. The day that he had turned up at the gallery had been when things had exploded and his father had declared that he would not be paying for college unless Riley changed his major.

Gabe, overhearing all of this - since he had been hiding behind the couch like a criminal - had declared that since the gallery was doing so well, he would need another assistant who of course would need to live under the same conditions that Celestia did. Watching Gabriel and the girls drag him out on a shopping expedition had been the highlight of her month.

"Yo, that must be one serious daydream," a voice murmured close to her ear, her stomaching jumping in startlement.

"Riley," she gasped, turning towards him as she noticed that the other students in the lecture hall were slowly making their way out of the large double doors. "Crap, I missed most of the talk."

"You really didn't miss much but I'll lend you my notes if you want," he shoved his pens into the brand new shoulder bag that Kota had given him as a gift for doing so well on his last assessment.

"Sounds good," she sighed, feeling a little exhausted after staying up most of the night. All of the missed school work had taken a while to catch up on but besides that she had finally decided what to give her aunt and uncles as a Christmas gift and with how busy her life had become, it was going to take quite a while to complete. "Wanna grab some lunch before we head to the gallery?"

"Hell yes," he groaned. "I think Ririchiyo said that her classes finished soon as well so we should probably meet up. I'm pretty sure she's all jealous that we live together now."

Celestia laughed, "She said that she's actually happy that you're not trying to crash in her dorm anymore."

Gasping dramatically, he bumped her shoulder gently, "Co-habitation is a beautiful thing."

Sighing, she tucked a lock of hair behind one ear, "Are you happy, Riley? I mean, living with my family and letting them path out your life?"

Looking up at the cloudless sky, he took his time, "Finding out about your family was a huge surprise and I was a bit sus' about how much they wanted to helped but I've always been the positive sort and you have a shitty poker face so I know that they haven't been doing anything too weird to you. I trust you and your eternally distrustive nature."

She smiled, "I don't know whether any of that was a compliment."

"All of it was," he glanced at her out of the corner of his eye, "you're a fierce person, Celestia. Surviving all that bullshit only to grow so strong that even the hard things in life still manage to make you shrug it all off."

"It's all the people in my life now that have made that possible," she replied, moving swiftly out of the way so that a group of guys didn't run her down. "I used to think that I was cursed but now I think that all of the stuff with my Mum was just a twisted way to make sure that I would appreciate the blessings. I'm happy now, Riley. Happy with school, work, where I live, my new family. I'm happy with you."

"Ah," he grinned, seeing the cafeteria up ahead, "I knew that you'd fall head over heels for me eventually."

Hi, this update is extremely short and I apologize but this is the official finale for The Lost Girl. I feel elated to have shared her tale.

Love you all,

AnnaIsali