Chapter Twenty One - Muse Eternelle

By the time that Gabriel had finished talking to all of her teachers, her other uncles had all said their goodbyes. Even Sean and Luke had caught a lift from Kota, life calling them back to their various commitments as Celestia herself tried not to die from a mixture of adoration and embarrassment.

Some of the other future students had had parents with them but none of them had bothered to grill the professors like Gabe had.

"Alright, minion, let's head into work and see if what I have in mind will suit you, hmm?" He wrapped an arm around her for a short hug before they both hopped back into his car.

"Thank you," She murmured quietly, looking straight ahead out the front windscreen as they made their way out of the carpark. "It meant a lot that you came with me today."

"We're sometimes annoying to deal with but family means a great deal and that's what you are, Celestia, so I'd get used to all of us being around a lot from now on."

She smiled, "I think I'll like that. My house feels different now with the boys always there and the others dropping over - it's going to be hard when it's just me again."

He glanced over to her with brows raised, "I have the strange feeling that my boys enjoy not living with their parents so I'm not sure how alone you'll be with three permanent housemates."

"They've all been good to me. You all have," she made sure that he couldn't see the moisture in her eyes. "Meeting Aunty Sang and all of you has given me so much more than I ever expected."

He seemed to understand because although he remained silent, his palm came to rest gently over her knee for a moment.

Celestia sniffled, letting go of everything except her excitement, "So, tell me more about your gallery and what you'll have me doing."

That was how the rest of the ride went, Gabriel waving about enthusiastically while he told her his vision for Muse Éternelle - he was also very clear that the job he was offering wasn't a sympathy job. She would be earning her pay check but he promised that her hours and duties could be flexible depending on her studies.

"Here we are," he announced suddenly, surprising Celestia as he turned towards the gate of what actually appeared to be a gorgeous three storey mansion - it was certainly located in the rich part of the city with all of the most affluent families living nearby.

"But this is a house," she exclaimed, even though the gold engraved sign hanging on the fence by the gate obviously stated that this was the right place. Celestia could barely grasp that this property could possibly house the gallery that her uncle had described. The land was gorgeously manicured with garden beds fringing the walls and lining the edges of the paths which led from the front door to the front yard patio.

Gabriel chuckled, happy to see her enthrallment - it was nice to know that this kind of extravagant wealth could still shock people. His family had gotten used to all of the advantages of having fat bank accounts but meeting Celestia was like being thrown back to his youth when they had all first met Sang, and she'd been shocked every time Victor had pulled out that beautiful black credit card.

"This was your Uncle Victor's childhood home. When his parents decided to move to Europe, he took this on as an investment property since none of us wanted to actually live here," he shrugged. "Eventually I needed somewhere to set up my gallery and this was sitting empty so Victor decided to let me use it as long as I didn't do anything too extreme to the decor. Poor dude has to answer to those stuffy historical people if we so much as change the curtains." They pulled to a stop close to the front door and hopped out, Celestia's eyes jumping from one thing to another as she tried to come to terms with the possibility of working in place that looked it should be on the cover of every possible home design magazine.

"How much business do you do?" She asked, squinting as she turned to find him opening the door and disarming the alarm.

"The snobs find it distressing that I don't cater to a strictly exclusive clientele but every time I host an event, they all turn up in droves and spend a fortune," he leaned in. "I think that they're hoping to get photographed and gossiped about. Since Victor technically owns the property, we get all types wanting to be seen here." Celestia could barely hold in a gasp as she looked around while her uncle nodded thoughtfully, trying to see it through her eyes. "I do a good trade, better than I ever imagined since I'm now getting international buyers over the web page. Basically, Celestia, I need someone to hold down the fort here while I'm off consulting artists and dealing with the mountain of fucking paperwork that keeps piling up. It might take a little while until you feel confident but I'll be around constantly until then - we can also negotiate your hours around your classes if need be." He propped his hands on his hips and grinned, "So what do you think?"

Still caught up in her perusal of the main foyer, Celestia remained quiet for a long moment before she turned her eyes to Gabriel, "Are you sure about this? I'm don't think I really fit." She was talking about the way that she'd been raised - no matter the neighbourhood, she'd been raised as the poor kid and looking around at the obvious wealth, and she felt distinctly out of place.

Feeling a distinct sense of Deja vu, Gabriel didn't allow even the smallest hint of exasperation to show as he gently led her over to a comfortable bench seat, "I'm not going to blow you off and tell you that you're being silly because I understand completely why you'd feel like you do. I spent the biggest part of my life living in rundown little trailer house with my step-mother who was a rotten drunk. It was hard when I'd meet up with my brothers to see Victor living here or Kota at his pretty little home with a loving mother and sister, but every time I'd start feeling out of place, I'd remind myself that in our circle no one was more important and that we each brought something important to our friendship. It took time and a certain troublemaker to cement that but I want you to hear me when I tell you that I don't give a fuck where you come from as long as you're willing to show me exactly where you want to go. Work hard, try for everything you want and I will stand by you through anything." He squinted at her, glad to see that her eyes were clear, that she was listening. "Now, again, what do you say?"

She took a deep breath, "When do I start?"

"Now that is a most fucking excellent answer, niece, but before we even get to that, I have some sort of employment contract that I need you to read over so that you know that this is all official and shit, and I believe that you brought me some pretty pictures to look at."

Celestia's mind was reeling after everything that he'd said but when he mentioned the precious book that she'd left in the car, her imaginings came to a screeching halt, "I don't think it's really necessary to look at..."

Gabriel held up a hand, "What should you be saying to yourself right now?"

A smile started to take over, "Watch the insecure girly shit?"

"Exactly," He beeped her on the nose. "And I'll be telling my sons that I won the bet."

"What bet?" She frowned.

"You swore and I get slaves to wash my car for the next year."