Chapter Twenty Three - I See A Light

The car's arrival came much faster than what Celestia had prepared for and a little over a week later, she was standing at a window looking out nervously as she waited for Owen and North to turn up. It was strange, she thought, trying not to get caught up in the fact that the house was empty and silent for the first time since she'd met her aunt. The younger children were at school while everyone had work commitments - it was actually quite unnerving if she was being honest.

Breath catching when she recognised the sound of North's Jeep, she watched without blinking as a classy yellow car pulled up to the curb. There it was, a fortune all wrapped up in a pretty package. She was already hyperventilating at the prospect of trying to drive it.

Ashley Waters had been fortunate enough to have a driving skills class so she essentially had her permit and knew how to handle a car but this was vastly different from steering an old bomb around some cones.

Waiting until the two men were on the path, Celestia slipped out of the living room and pulled open the old wooden door so that they could walk straight in.

"Morning," North greeted, kissing her on the cheek just as she noticed the toolbox that he had clutched in one hand. "Ready for your first day out? The car turned out better than I expected when Victor came home and told us that you had ordered it in yellow." He shuddered before winking.

"It's just what we had in mind," Owen added, a milder form of adrenaline thrumming through his veins as he mentally prepared for the driving lesson. Although he'd gone out regularly while his children had been on their learning permits, it had always been after they'd already been out with North and Kota on a number of occasions. "A classy tank, I believe that is how Gabriel described it."

"Couldn't have you driving in anything with less than twelve airbags. Now," North propped a hand on his hip, "I'm gonna have a look around and start jotting down what needs to be looked at to get this house up to scratch. I brought some tools and will do what I can on a temporary basis but it might take a little while to deal with everything."

"Oh," Celestia looked around, thinking of the mess and how her uncle would react. It really wasn't the kind of place his children should be staying but she'd done her best to make it tidy for them all and she hoped that North would forgive her the general shabbiness. "Well, ok then. Are you sure that this is ok though? It's going to cost so much and I won't be able to pay you back straight away."

Grunting, he waved her off, "Who said anything about having to pay me back? This is what family does." Not giving her time to even draw breath, he pushed her into Owen's side "Now, go and remember to take photos if Owen wets himself."

The door slammed shut as they walked outside and Celestia was left with the distinct impression that the Sorenson hurricane hadn't quite passed.

"Shall we?" Owen offered her his arm, the smallest smile gracing his handsome face. "I'm glad that I was the one chosen to assist you today, Celestia. I think you'll do quite well behind the wheel."

... ... ...

Owen could honestly say that he had never, in his life, felt anything similar. It was a deep pain in his chest.

It was the most horrible fear imaginable.

He wasn't sure whether it would be unforgiveable to start crying but the urge was there, along with the unmanly need to wet himself.

It wasn't that he hadn't been in similar situations before – he'd been a passenger to both North and Gabriel – but his age and the fact that Celestia looked like a toddler sitting behind the wheel was doing unforgivable things to his heart.

There was the genuine concern that it was malfunctioning.

"Whoops," his niece cried with a giggle as she deftly avoided rear-ending a car as it slammed on its brakes. "The maniacs must have all decided to come out today, Uncle Owen."

"Er...yes," perhaps it was only his imagination but his voice was starting to sound slightly choked and a glance in side mirror revealed that red was beginning to spread across his face. Was he truly having a panic attack for no reason? Sure, Celestia's technique was a little terrifying but he was Owen Blackbourne, the youngest Academy team leader in history.

"Red light!" He bellowed, grabbing ahold of the dash as the brakes were applied with undue force.

"There was plenty of time," Celestia returned, her fingers trembling slightly in reaction to the suddenness of her uncle's loud voice. Wasn't yelling at a nervous driver considered bad form?

Peeking at him from the corner of her eyes, her brow snapped down into an immediate frown at the white skin peeking up at the edges of his flushed cheeks. Sweat dotted his brow and his hands were both clutching at the shirt over his heart and handle of his door.

Had she actually scared him?

No, surely not. He had never seemed as anything less than completely composed and although her driving wasn't what anyone could call smooth, she didn't think that it was enough to cause such a reaction in such a man.

Another glance had the thought forming – he's getting on in years, maybe...

Could it be?

A gasp slipped out as a horn blared behind them, her uncle's face turning even more excruciatingly pale as the car eased forward.

What had they always said in health class? A heart attack was a serious condition that could kill someone within minutes if they didn't receive treatment – even the suspicion of a heart attack should be taken seriously and medical attention should be immediately sought.

"Uncle Owen?" Tension threaded every letter.

"Yes?" His voice was a whispery ghost of its former self.

"Can you tell me how to get to the hospital where Uncle Sean works?" Keep the possible patient calm.

"Of course, next left and then your third right. You can't miss the entrance." Owen's eyes fluttered close as the car suddenly went from the right lane to the left, the car behind them banking out of the way. "Celestia..."

"Don't worry, I've got this. Just keep your eyes closed for now, ok, Uncle Owen?"

With a slight roil starting to take up residence in his stomach, Owen let out a small sigh, "Very well, I shall do just that, I think."