Chapter 22

"Do you think Neil Blaketon is part of the mafia?"

"He is part of the mafia," I tell Anila as I looked over my shoulder at her. Her eyebrows furrowed, thinking over that for a moment and then her eyes widened.

"Do you think he is part of the CIA?" I just raised my eyebrows at her.

"Why would the government hire a ruthless gang leader to work for them?" I asked, skeptically. She rubbed her chin, thinking. 

"Well, if you think about it he has got the skills, he must have learnt them somewhere. Maybe he was a former CIA member turned gang leader." She gasped like she just figured out everything.

"I highly doubt that." I gave her a flat look. 

"You never know." She shrugged. 

She was right about one thing, you never know what this man was capable of. Although she was right. You never know what this man is capable of. We had no idea who he really was or what he was working towards.

We needed to find out.

Anila and I were sitting in the library at lunch searching up anything we could on previous mayors. I ended up telling her about Neil threatening my Mom again. I knew she wasn't going to tell anyone or else she already would have told about us breaking into Keagan Lotes' casino. 

I told her my suspicions on the mayor job. There was something not right about it. When I told her that Tony Leach the previous mayor was murdered by Keagan she freaked. I had to put my hand over her mouth to shut her up. If anyone found out then Neil would kill both of us and those we cared for. We had to be smart about this.

"All of our city mayor's were very boring, unscandalous, as expected. Expect one. Joseph Grayson was the longest mayor in office in our city's history," she read off her computer. 

"I've heard of him. He was my fathers idol, he tried to copy all of Joseph's practices," I remembered, Joseph was all my father ever talked about when he first became mayor.

"He was probably the best mayor this town has ever had. He turned this city from a bad recession into a thriving city. The city was about to declare bankruptcy but he gave hope to the whole city to work together and turn it back into the city it is now. It says here he dedicated his life to this city. He loved it. But on the eve of his seventh re-election he and his family moved cities. Just up and left, no one has heard of him since." She glanced up, tucking her brown hair behind her ear and chewing on her pen. "Other than that, no previous murders or scandals. It seems to have only started lately."

"Yeah, only since Neil Blaketon became powerful," I grumbled. It was true, ever since he gained power, the murder rates increased, drug trafficking increased and gang related behaviour went through the roof. Who knows how many other people he has manipulated to do his bidding.

I knew it all revolved around him. My father had business with him and Keagan Lotes has business with him. All these powerful people Neil seems to have wrapped around his little finger.

I hadn't heard from Neil in the week since he came to my apartment and I tried to not think about that night, shutting it away in a deep crevice of my mind. But the memories would resurface in my dreams, I wasn't sleeping well and constantly waking up panting and covered in sweat. Other than that my life has gone on as normal. Asher has been leaving me alone but his eye would never leave me when we were in the same class. He seemed a lot more agitated now like it was killing him not to speak to me. 

The only difference this time was that whenever he stopped staring at me, I would stare at him. I tried not to but that kiss would not leave my head. Quite honestly it was the only thing getting me through this hard time. Something beautiful in the mist of a nightmare. The bell signalled the end of lunch and Anila and I parted ways. I was hurrying down the outside library stairs towards my next class when someone called my name.