Chapter 29

I sped in and out of the crowds of people mulling around the city square at the rally. It only took me a few minutes to reach the city square, how they hadn't heard the hospital collapse was beyond me. 

I was back in contact with Anila again, the earpiece started working again after I left the hospital. I told her about the bomb that was going to be at the rally and she got to work with her friends to try and deactivate it but she hadn't had any luck yet.

I revved the accelerator of the motorbike I had found outside the hospital with the key still in the ignition, I assumed Asher had left it there, given I found a gun and knife in the console that I put into the gun holster still around my waist. I took the bike given it would be the fastest vehicle. It was a good thing I had a stint of dirt bike riding when I was a teenager.

I swerved towards the back of the town square building and saw two of Neil's men guarding the back door. I pulled the gun out of my pocket as I raced past them. I knew how dangerous this all was but I just didn't care anymore, I had no sense of self preservation after losing Asher.

The men looked up at me just as I shot the floor near them.

"Get down," one of them yelled as they both ducked to the floor. I didn't shoot anywhere near them but luckily they both run for cover and away from the door. I drove the bike right up to the door and decelerated so the wheels skidded to a stop and I jumped off the bike, throwing it to the floor beside me. I yanked open the door and darted through just as I heard a gun shot go off and lodge into the closed door. That was close. 

I Iocked the door behind me and turned around to find a long hallway. I knew that at the end of the hallway was the side entrance to the stage from when my dad was mayor and I used to spend a lot of time here, so I knew the best way to get to the stage where Neil would be speaking to the city.

When I reached the end of the corridor, I threw open the door at the end and emerged onto the side of the stage behind the curtains. There was no one on this side of the stage but there were a few people hanging behind the stage on the other side. There was only one person on the stage I saw the black sleeked back mullet of Neil's hair as he spoke into a microphone on the stage to the crowd. The crowd that he was just about to murder.

"We have our best forensic police team who are investigating the kidnapping Gina Elliott, we will find who was responsible for this and we will bring them to justice," Neil spoke conciliatory into the microphone, his voice expressing deep concern for the woman that he killed. Fury boiled in my blood, making my teeth grind together. How could be lie so easily?

"I also have some other more positive news. Since taking on the role of mayor I have realised how dire our city's health care system has become and I am pleased to announce the opening of the new hospital tomorrow." A few people cheered from the masses but they was mostly silent.

The burning anger I felt before re-ignited inside me at his words and my hands balled into a fist around my gun. He was a master manipulator. I saw Neil reach into his pocket and pull out a black device, keeping it behind the lectern so no one could see him press the button. As Neil moved it I saw a red button on it and knew instantly that it was the bomb trigger. Panic sent me into motion.

"Anila, can you close the curtains?" I yelled into the receiver in my ear as I ran onto the stage. I kept my eyes only on Neil as I ran into the view of everyone in the city. 

I sprinted up the few stairs the lead up to Neil's platform and when I reached the top I pushed Neil with both my hands and threw him away from the microphone. He wasn't expecting it so he stumbled and fell to the floor. It gave me enough time to speak into the microphone. I heard shouts of outrage from the crowd but I ignored them.