Chapter 28

"Shh it's only me," whispered a familiar voice in my ear and as soon as I heard that voice my entire body relaxed. I sunk back into the body behind me. Asher. I turned around to face him and when my gaze locked on his blue eyes a warmth ran through my chest so strong it nearly knocked the breath out of me.

"Asher?" I breathed out in relief. I had never been so relieved to see someone in my life.

I jumped into his chest, hugging him as tightly as I could. He wrapped his arm around my back and dug his head into my neck, hugging me back just as forcefully. I allowed myself to relax for a moment knowing that he was here and he was safe.

"I'm so glad to see you," I mumbled into his chest, enjoying the feeling of being in his arms. My eyes fluttered when he pulled me closer into him and he dug his head further into me. I pulled my head back to look at him inquisitively when I remembered a very important fact, shouldn't he be in jail?

"How are you here?" I questioned in a whisper. Asher's face broke out into a cheeky grin like he couldn't wait to tell me the answer.

"I broke out of jail," he whispered back with a smugness to his voice. My eyebrows rose in disbelief.

"Really?" I deadpanned with a flat look. He glared at me offended and put a hand up to his heart.

"Are you doubting my bad ass abilities?" he joked with a smirk. How could I ever? He was the school bad boy after all.

"I would never." I smiled lopsidedly at him and a light entered his eyes as he grinned back at me.

"To be fair they were evacuating the building," Asher added as he pinched my cheeks and I slapped his hand away. But he grasped my wrist in his hand and clutched my hand in his, his eyes becoming serious and the reality of the situation came crashing down on me again.

"Do you know about the bombs?" I asked. A muscle ticked in his jaw as he clenched it and glared towards Brad.

"Yeah, Anila told me everything and to be here. I called her as soon as I escaped."

"Are you okay?" His gaze was fixated on me and his features had turned serious, angry. Anila must have told him about the kidnapping incident.

"Yes, I promise." I reached up to touch his cheek softly. The strong lines of his jaw relaxed as he calmed down.

We heard the click of a lid shutting coming from the bomb and we both jumped, turning towards Brad.

We both peaked our heads over the top of the boxes to see Brad now on his feet staring down at the box. Asher stiffened beside me and he pulled a gun out of his jacket pocket and held it out for me to take.

He gave me an encouraging nod of his head when I hesitated. I couldn't want for the day when I never had to touch one of these horrid contraptions ever again. I took it from him and he nodded seriously back at me.

"Stay behind me," Asher whispered sternly, leaving me no room to argue. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his own gun.

He stood up, holding the gun out in front of him and directing it right at Brad. I followed close behind Asher with my gun held out in front of me.

Brad didn't notice us straight away, he was to be too immersed in whatever he was thinking about as he stared at the bomb.

"Step away from the bomb," Asher threatened steadily in a deep authoritarian voice. Brad jumped up a mile in the air, shock overtaking his features and making him stubble backwards. I kept my face blank as Brad's eyes dark eyes shifted from Asher to me. His eyes narrowed into slits and his jaw clenched when he saw me here and not locked up in my apartment like he thought I was.