Chapter 8

Asher raised his eyebrows and looked at me like I had gone insane. His dark blue eyes searched my features for any signs that I was joking. But he didn't find any, I had never been more serious in my life. His looked at me with disbelief, crossing his hands over his chest defensively.

"Why would I help you with anything?" he demanded, his upper lip curling up in disgust. My mouth parted, unable to believe his hostile reaction.

"Why did you follow me out here if you weren't going to help me?" I shot back, throwing my hands into the air, my frustration at him making me ready to snap.

"I don't know, I thought you had something important to say." He ran his hands through his black hair and as he looked away from me, I saw a flash of guilt in his eyes. He felt guilty for what his father did to me. He should feel guilty.

"This is important," I yelled at him, stomping my foot. He made me angry just by opening his mouth but I also needed to rein in my anger because I needed his help with this. He was the only person that I knew with experience with this sort of thing. I inhaled a deep calming breath and ignored my desire to hit him over the head.

"I need to speak to Keagan Lotes. Apparently, he owes my father a favour but I don't know how to find him and you are the only person that I know that has experience with this sort of thing," I explained seriously. His fierce eyes searched my face as he looked down at me and I could see him thinking over what I had said.

I knew the chances of him helping me were very low but I was hoping that maybe he had a heart somewhere and wouldn't let my mom die. Finally understanding dawned in his eyes.

"Keagan Lotes is impossible to talk to, especially for you." His eyes were flat, deadpanned as if my idea was never going to work.

"I know, that's why I am asking you for help," I murmured, running my finger across my eyebrow as the fatigue of it all pressed down on me. His gaze followed my fatigued movements and he signed, his features opening up a bit.

"I can't talk to him either, he's gone completely off the map. Told the world that he was dead, it's the perfect way to get away with the crimes he had committed. But I do know one thing, he owns a casino and I have heard that is his base of operation." Asher finally divulged some information. My heart soared, my eyes widening as I tried to take in every word.

"If you steal something of value to him, then you won't need to seek him out, he will find you," Asher declared, pointing right between my eyes. My world rocked and my features opened up as hope blossomed through me, this was exactly the help I that needed.

"What can I steal that is of value to him?" I asked, my voice raising hopefully. Asher's stormy blue eyes looked down at me intently as he rubbed his chin.

"Keagan Lotes is known for his grandiose jewellery collection. If you can steal one of his jewels that are worth a few million or something particularly rare, he would do anything to get it back, including speaking to its thief."

My heart pounded in excitement at this idea, giving me a sense of direction rather than walking around blindly in the dark. Maybe I could do this. I didn't know how to thank him for this information, so I just went for the obvious.

"Thank you." I beamed up at him, twisting my hands together in front of me. I thought I saw a hint of a minute smile on the side of his lips in return. He must feel guilty about his part in my kidnapping, maybe I could increase that guilt some more into helping me.

"Will you help me steal this jewel?" I hinted, a smile lifting my lips as I looked up at him hopefully with big eyes.

"No." He shut me down hard. My eager face falls as I stare at him dumbfounded.