Chapter 11

We were going to break into Keagan Lotes vault under his casino and steal one of his jewels. Absolutely terrible idea I know. But it was what Asher suggested and I didn't have any better plans. Asher said we needed to make sure that Keagan had me taken to him in person, rather than kill on the spot. I liked the sound of not being killed on the spot.

Asher left my room last night after explaining to me his brilliant plan. He closed the door quickly behind him, even locking it after him. My mother was none the wiser, she had no idea we were broken into last night or about the boy that had been in my bedroom in the middle of the night.

Asher told me that Keagan was going to be at his casino tomorrow night and we should use this opportunity while we had it. I quickly agreed and had to tell mom that my sleepover had been put forward a week and luckily, she didn't mind. I also called Anila to let her know about the change in plans.

She agreed as well but she was panicky about the night we had chosen because she had seen Neil Blaketon at the casino on the security cameras. I assured her it was fine, that must have been how Asher knew that Keagan was going to be there tomorrow night because his father was there to Keagan him. I would just mention it to Asher anyway just to make sure he was aware as I knew that he said he couldn't help me because his father forbade him.

Asher was going to pick me up at six on Saturday afternoon and the hour drive to the city was sure going to be an awkward one. He offered to drive and I didn't object, it meant that I didn't need to take the bus. The entire day I was riddled with guilt and no matter how much I reminded myself that I was going this to save my mother's life, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was doing something wrong. That I should have told the police about Asher instead of making a deal with him.

But if my mother died, I would have no one left and that strengthened my resolve. By the middle of the day, I had paced my room for a few hours and tired mom out by endless chatter about nothing, trying to take my mind of tonight until she left for her evening shift at work. I rested my head on the couch for a moment and then I was asleep.

*

The painful sound of someone repeatedly knocking on the front door woke me up from my deep sleep. I blocked my ears trying to shut out the sound but bolted awake when I heard someone speaking.

"Cordelia, open the door," Asher yelled from the other side. The sound of his voice immediately alerted my groggy mind and I leapt off the couch. My eyes were still half shut when I unlocked the door to find Asher standing there, with his hands folded over his chest and his foot tapping impatiently. As much as his attitude annoyed me, I couldn't help noticing his good looks. 

Asher's dark hair was not as messy as usual, he had styled it expertly to the side of his face with a wave as if he had run his hair through it multiple times. The remainder of his hair flopped onto his forehead making his dark blue eyes have a striking affect compared to his black hair and dark demeanour. His big bright eyes made him look soft and innocent even though I knew he wasn't. How could someone so attractive have such an unattractive personality?

He was wearing just as formal looking clothes, a button up black dress shirt and black jeans, formal clothes that would not be conspicuous inside a casino.

He gave my clothing a disapproving look. "I thought you would be ready by now, we have to go," he grumbled, not even giving me a hello. I groaned at him, not in the mood to deal with him grumpiness. I turned around and flopped back onto the couch but leaving the door open.

"Get your snobby ass out of bed and get ready." He threw a pillow at me which hit me right over the face. I grabbed it off my head and threw it right back at him.