Five

My heart dropped, Sodapop didn't like me, he had been thinking about another girl the whole time.

"I'm hungry," Julia cried, snapping me out of my daze.

"Here," Sodapop said, "come with me."

I followed Sodapop as Julia looked at me with a smile on her face. We walked into a small office, and Sodapop opened a drawer and pulled out some candy. I set Julia down and she ran up to Soda.

"I have a secret stash," Sodapop said.

"Thanks for giving some to her," I said.

"Remember last night," Sodapop said, "how I told you I might have found the right girl? Well, I think Sandy is the one."

Sodapop was smiling, and I tried not to feel upset. I had just met this guy, but I already liked him.

"How did you guys meet?" I asked.

"We used to go to school together, we're both dropouts now, but we had been talking a lot lately, so today I asked her to be my girl."

"I'm happy for you," I lied, and I picked up Julia. "We better get going."

"Why are you leaving so soon? You just got here!" Sodapop said.

"I've got to take my cousins home, my parents are already mad at me," I said.

"Don't leave yet, hang around for a little longer. Two-Bit and Ponyboy should be coming soon. Your cousins can hang here too," Sodapop said.

"Alright, I'll stay, but if I get in trouble it's your fault," I told Soda.

"Ahhh," Julia cried, leaning towards Sodapop.

"I think she wants you to hold her," I said.

"Okay," Sodapop said hesitantly.

I handed Julia over to Sodapop, and she rested her head on his shoulder.

"See, it's not so bad," I said.

"I've never really been around kids," Soda said, looking at Julia, "but I like this."

"You guys never fail to surprise me," I said.

"What do you mean?" Soda asked.

"When I look at you guys, I see a bunch of tough guys, but you and Dally are both really good with kids," I said.

"Hey! You aren't supposed to tell anyone!" Dally said. I hadn't realized he had been standing in the doorway.

"Dallas Winston, the bad boy gone good!" Sodapop laughed.

"Shut up," Dally said, leaving the room.

I followed Dally out of the office and into the store part of the gas station, where Peter and Charlie were.

"What did you guys pick out?" I asked Peter and Charlie.

"I got a Coke and a chocolate bar," Peter said.

"I got a water and a candy bar," Charlie said with a smile.

"Let's go pay," I said, and we walked up to the counter. "Here you go, Sodapop," I said, handing Soda the money for our snacks.

"No, this one's on the house," Soda said, giving me my money back.

"Soda," Sandy grinned, "you'd make a great father." She brushed her hand against Sodapop's cheek. Sodapop was still holding Julia, and he would make a great father someday, but not with Sandy.

"Hey Callie!" Two-Bit yelled, walking into the gas station with Ponyboy behind him.

"Hi guys!" I smiled at them.