Eight

I was his good friend, just his good friend. Sodapop thought nothing more of me than a friend.

"You're a great friend too," I smiled politely.

"I'm glad everything is working out for us, you have Dally, I have Sandy," Soda said. 

"I should go back inside before my aunt comes back," I said, as I climbed back into the window of Amy's room.

"Goodnight Callie," Sodapop said.

"Goodnight Sodapop."

Once I was inside, I closed the window and went to change into my pajamas. I got in bed and tried to fall asleep, but it was nearly impossible, all I could think about was Sodapop.

The next morning I woke up to Amy crying.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked, getting up and sitting on the edge of her bed.

"I cheated on Tom," she cried.

"And I was the one who carried you home when you were drunk," I said.

"You did?" She asked, I nodded. "I can't believe what I did. All to be with some dirty Greaser."

"Dally isn't so bad," I shrugged.

"That's the thing, I actually like a dirty Greaser!" She cried.

"He may look like a dirty Greaser on the outside, but he's much better on the inside," I said, trying to show her the bright side.

"What do I do?" Amy asked, falling onto her back on the bed.

"Talk to Dally about it," I said. "If you really like him, you need to break up with Tom."

"I can't break up with Tom, he would go crazy," Amy said.

"Well, I'm going out tonight, and I need you to help me pick out an outfit," I said, trying to change the subject.

"You're not wearing your old clothes, they're bad," Amy said, getting up from her bed and walking over to the closet.

"Thanks?" I said, offended that she thought my clothes were bad.

"What the hell happened in here?" Amy screamed. She was standing in the door way of her closet, looking down at all of the clothes on the floor.

"You were pretty drunk last night," I shrugged.

"Ughhhhh," Amy groaned as she started picking her clothes up off the floor.

"I'm going to get breakfast," I said, and I left Amy to deal with the mess on her own.

I ran downstairs and into the kitchen, where everyone was sitting around the table.

"Good morning," I smiled.

"You're in a good mood today," Mom pointed out.

"Yes I am. I made some friends here, would you mind if I hung out with them tonight?" I asked.

"Who are these friends?" Dad asked.

"They better not be Greasers," Uncle Tim said sternly.

"They aren't," I lied. "It's just this girl, Sandy, and her boyfriend and his friend."

"Are they picking you up?" Aunt Karen asked.

"I think so, do you mind if I go call them?" I asked.

Aunt Karen nodded, and I went into the living room where there was a phone attached to the wall. I dialed Dally's phone number and waited for him to answer.