Twelve

"I have loved her for a while, but I didn't know it until tonight. I just needed to tell her," Sodapop said.

No one said a word, it was completely silent, and everyone was looking at me.

"I don't care how you feel about my daughter, that's no reason to come over to our house," Dad started, standing up from his seat. Sodapop stood up too, with a look of confidence on his face.

"Dad, stop," I said.

"Don't tell me what to do, this boy is nothing but trouble. I don't want you seeing him again," Dad said, and he started to walk out of the room.

"Stop! Did you hear what he just said?" I began to yell, "He loves me! Someone loves me, and you're pushing him away!"

"Look at him! He's a dirty Greaser! You could do much better," Dad said.

"Why does it matter?" I asked.

"Because I don't want my daughter to get hurt," Dad said, and he left.

I motioned for Sodapop to follow me, and we went outside.

"I'm really sorry-" I began, but Sodapop cut me off by pressing his soft lips against mine. I pulled away from the kiss and rested my head on his chest.

"It's okay, we'll still see each other," Sodapop said.

"I can't lie to my parents," I said.

"I'll always wait for you, Callie, as long as it takes. School will start in a few months, and soon your dad will forget that he ever wanted us apart," Sodapop said, but I didn't have the heart to tell him that I wouldn't be there when school started, I would be back home in Chicago.

"I think I love you too," I said to Sodapop, "but I can't just be your rebound after you broke up with Sandy."

"It's not like that," Soda said, "once I started dating her, I knew it wasn't right, I kept expecting her to be you. Seeing you with Dally made me angry, and I hadn't even known I had feelings for you."

"Why did you ask her to marry you?" I asked.

"I was settling for her, I know we're young, but I did care about her. I thought if I married her, maybe I could stop thinking about you," he said.

"I can't believe you actually like me," I said.

"Like you? I love you," Sodapop said.

"Why me? You barely know me, I think we're rushing into things a little too fast," I said.

"I know you well enough, and I will spend the rest of my time getting to know you." I had never felt this way before, my stomach was doing flips and my heart was beating faster than it ever had.

"Soda this is really hard for me, but I can't lie to my parents, and I can't see you anymore," I said. I kissed his cheek and walked up to the front door.

"Goodbye Callie," Sodapop said, watching me walk away.

"Goodbye Soda," I said, and I closed the front door.

"You've done a good thing," Dad said, putting his arm around me.

"It sure doesn't feel good," I said, pushing his arm away and going upstairs.

I walked into Amy's bedroom and jumped onto my bed, hiding my face in my pillow.

"Sorry about what happened," Amy said from across the room.

"Save it, I know you don't care," I said, and she stopped bothering me.

I cried myself to sleep that night, and many nights after that. A month after seeing Sodapop for the last time, I was into a routine with Amy and her friends. We met up every day after lunch and hung out until dinner time, then after that, they all went out to parties, and I went home to play with my little brother and cousins. It was boring without Sodapop and his friends, but my parents were happy, and that was all that mattered. Amy's boyfriend, Tom, had set me up with his best friend, Adam, and although I had never been asked, we were a couple. 

Adam was a sweet guy, and my parents liked him, but every time I looked at him all I thought about was Sodapop. He was taking me out to a party, which I wasn't so happy about.

"It will be fun," Adam said reassuringly as he stopped the car in front of the house where the party was happening. I smiled at him, and we got out of the car. His light, fluffy hair was blowing in the wind, and I couldn't imagine what a mess my hair was.

We walked inside the house where the party was happening and the smell of alcohol hit me like a truck. There were both Socs and Greasers everywhere, but I guess everyone was too drunk to care. Adam grabbed me a plastic cup as he drank all the contents of whatever was in his cup. I didn't even want to know what my drink was as I sipped it, pretending to enjoy it.

"I'm going to the bathroom," Adam said, and he left me all alone. I sighed and looked around for a familiar face, when someone put their arms around my waist.

"How's it going?" He asked in a voice that I would know anywhere.

"Dallas Winston get your hands off of me," I laughed, pushing him away.

"Callie, you know you want me," he said, holding out his hands. I embraced him in a hug, and he hugged me back.

"I missed you, Dally," I said.

"I missed you too," he said. "Why have you ignored us every time you see us?"

"I can't be around you guys, my parents' orders," I explained.

"Sodapop is going crazy," Dally said, running his fingers through his hair. "You finally got what you wanted, Soda to love you back, and then you leave."

"I didn't want to leave," I argued.

"Sodapop is here, you should talk to him," Dally said.

"You botherin' my girl?" Adam slurred drunkenly at Dallas, and I couldn't believe how quickly he had become drunk, he must have been drinking before the party.

"No, Adam, it's fine," I said, putting my hand on his chest.

"Watch out, I'm trying to fight this Greaser," Adam yelled, and his fist met my face before I had time to react. My head was pounding as I fell to the floor, and I could hear Dally and Adam arguing as I struggled to keep my eyes open. A strong hand helped me up, and the last thing I saw before blacking out was Sodapop Curtis.

A/N

Yay another update! I'm not sure how much longer this story will be, Callie will only be in Tulsa for another month...what will happen next?? Thanks for reading,
xx
Maddie