Seventeen

I woke up the next morning just as the sun was rising. I opened the window next to my bed and climbed out onto the tree next to the house. As I watched the sky, painted with streaks of pink and orange, I thought about everything that had happened in the past few months. I had been dreading our trip to Tulsa, but it turned out to be the best trip of my life, I met Sodapop. Never had I ever felt loved by someone, but I finally did, and it was the best feeling in the world. I thought about my Grandmother, and everything she had done for our family over the years.

"Callie!" I heard someone yell. I looked down to see Sodapop climbing up the tree.

"What are you doing here?" I asked once he was at the same level as me.

"I came to get you, we're going on an adventure!" He smiled.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"The countryside, where my parents used to take us. When we first met, you told me that you wanted to spend your summer on the beach, and the lake is the closest thing we have to a beach here," Sodapop explained, smiling the whole time.

"You're the best," I hugged him, and we tipped over, falling off the tree and into the bushes. We were both laughing so hard my stomach began to hurt. Sodapop got up and helped me out of the tangle of branches.

"You've got a leaf in your hair," Sodapop said, pulling it out of my hair. He stopped his hand on my cheek and leaned in to kiss me.

"Let's go," I said, pulling away from the kiss, my lips tingling.

"You're going to need some clothes first," Soda laughed.

"Right," I said. "I'll meet you at the car."

Sodapop walked around the corner to his car while I climbed back up the tree and into the window. I changed into my swimsuit with an old yellow pair of shorts and a white blouse over it, and then I threw an extra change of clothes into a bag. I ran into the bathroom and brushed my teeth and hair, and I was ready to go. I climbed back outside and ran to meet Sodapop at the car. He was leaning against the side of the truck with his arms crossed, smiling right at me. I ran up to him and kissed his cheek, and he held open the car door for me. Soda jumped into the car and started the engine.

"Let's go on an adventure," Sodapop said, leaning over to kiss me. I stopped him, putting my finger on his lip.

"Not yet," I said, and I turned away and put on the radio.

We spent the hour long car ride singing at the top of our lungs to whatever was on the radio and laughing as hard as we ever had. It was a fun and exciting ride, but the most exciting part was arriving at the lake.

"You ready?" Sodapop said, turning off the radio.

"Yes!" I cheered, jumping out of the car. I looked around at the beautiful lake as I walked to the edge of the dock, the water was sparkling and I felt the warm sun against my skin. Not a single person was in sight. "Why is there no one here?" I asked, wondering why he place wasn't crowded with people

"This part of the lake isn't as popular, I chose it so we could have some peace and quiet." Sodapop said, putting his arm around me.

I turned to look at Sodapop, and I got one quick glance at his smiling face before I was suddenly falling into the water. I stood up, the water was up to my waist and I could feel the sand piling up inside my shoes. Sodapop was next to me, looking quite angry. I looked over at the dock that we had been pushed off, and there stood Two-Bit, Dally, Amy, Steve, Darry, Ponyboy, and Johnny, laughing their heads off.

"So much for peace and quiet," Sodapop laughed.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked.

"We heard you two were coming up here, and we couldn't let you guys have all the fun!" Darry said, jumping into the water. Everyone jumped in after him, while Soda and I both climbed out of the water. I looked down at my once dry clothes, which were now dripping wet. I peeled them off and laid them out in the sun, and Sodapop did the same with his.

"When am I going to get that kiss?" Sodapop asked, putting his arm around my waist and pulling me close.

"Never!" I grabbed his hand and started running down the dock, pulling him with me. We jumped into the water together, and I came up laughing.

"Look, there's the rope that Ponyboy and I used to swing off of and into the water!" Sodapop pointed, smiling. I followed him out of the water and over to the swing. "Are you ready for this?" He asked with a big goofy grin.

He grabbed the rope and started running, picking his feet up off the ground he jumped into the air and swung across the water. He landed in the lake with a large splash, and when he came out from under the water he shook his head like a dog and smiled at me.

"Are you comin'?" He asked.

"I don't know if it's safe, Soda," I said, looking at the fraying old rope.

"C'mon Callie, just once," Sodapop pleaded.

"Alright," I said, grabbing the rope. I began to run, just as Soda had, and suddenly I was swinging over the water. I let go, and the cold water hit me.

"Just like old times," Soda smiled, hugging me, "but better."

"How is it better?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Because you're here," he smiled.

We spent the day together laughing and having fun, me, Soda, and the gang, it was one of the best days of my life. When it was almost time to head home, Sodapop and I stood in the sand, packing up our things.

"Callie," Soda said slowly, wrapping his arms around my waist. "Thank you for the best day of my life."

Instead of saying anything, I kissed him, the kiss I had been waiting for all day.

"I love you," Sodapop said. "It makes me so happy that I get to see you every day again. Once school starts you can come watch me work, and once my shift is over we can go out to eat and stuff," he rambled on, but my heart stopped. While he was talking about our future, together, I knew that it wasn't possible, I was leaving in two weeks, but I didn't have the heart to tell him.

"I love you too, Sodapop."

A/N

just figured out how I'm going to end the story!! there will be two more chapters and an epilogue coming soon.
xx
maddie