Hiragana

The cattail you saw above is called hiragana (ひらがな)
It's ONE OF the (yes, that means there're others) Japanese alphabets so it's very important for you to learn it first because this is the basic of basic.

Generally, we use it mixed with kanji (かんじー漢字) and sometimes with katakana (かたかなーカタカナ), these two are the "others" Japanese alphabets I quoted above, but this time I'll teach only hiragana.

I'm showing you this cause they're very important for you to you comprehend what I'll teach you later, for you to understand what I'm presenting you.

You could use only hiragana and avoid the others alphabets, but in Japan, if you do this, that'll be kinda childish so I recommend you to use hiragana with the others two.

"Mix these 3?? How do I do that??"
You use like this: 私はスウィートポテトが好き。

"私" (this is kanji form of "わたし"—watashi—feminine form to say "me" or "I")
は (you can notice this is in hiragana, it's used as "is" or "are" or "am". Sorry I'm horrible to explain this)
スウィートポテト (katakana form of "すうぃーとぽてと"—I think you can notice clarity it means "sweet potato" lol)
が (again, hiragana, but this time "か" is accented, so you'll spell it as "ga". It's also used as "is", "of", "are" and etc sometimes. It's a complementation just like "は" )
好き (kanji + hiragana. —in hiragana, it's "すき"— means "like", used to say stuffs as you like someone or you like food and etc)

So, finally, connecting this all, it'll means "I (a woman speaking) like sweet potato (or potatoes, depending of the situation)."

That's all for now! Thank you for reading and being patient to try understand what I want to pass to you lol I'm not good on teaching someone
Don't forget to share this with someone who likes Japanese and Japan stuffs, press the ☆ button and COMMENT if you have any doubt or questions! I'll be responding!
I'll update this every Tuesday so stay tuned in! I'll do my best!

Peace! XOXO