zero | introduction

"if you don't ask, i won't tell"

- the neighbourhood, "prey"

-

"I have to leave," he told them bluntly. There was a massing pit of fury in his stomach that he couldn't control any longer. Staying in the institute was slowly gnawing away at his soul, taking a piece of his every day. He couldn't stand it any longer and he decided that he needed to leave. His sister's face was in a smile, thinking he was joking.

"That's not funny, Alec," she told him with her Spanish accent becoming more prominent than it had been. Her small frame was pulsing with anger as she looked at her big brother. They were supposed to stay together, yet here was Alec leaving Isabelle all alone.

Jace, his parabatai, was shaking his head while keeping his arms folded. He was concentrating on not yelling at Alec, but he, too, was feeling angry. Alec was the responsible one, the one that looked out for Izzy and Jace no matter what. "I know you don't joke much, Alec, but this isn't funny."

"I'm not joking," Alec told the two solemnly. He turned his back to them and started walking to his room. The two were following behind him like lost puppies unsure of what to do. "I got a warlock to create a portal for me, I'm leaving tonight."

"Alec, where are you going? Do you even have a place to stay? What about mom and dad? What about Magnus?" Izzy shot at him while walking impressively fast in her heeled boots. Her curls were bouncing with every step she took, but at the moment, she couldn't wrap her head around the fact that her big brother was leaving. "Alec, this is ridiculous."

Stepping into the threshold of his room, Alec started packing his things away. "Beacon Hills, California. Mom's got an old friend there that said he'd help me out if I need it. Magnus can do what he wants, we're not together."

"You love each other!" Izzy persisted while tugging on her brother's shoulder. There were tears already gathering in her eyes as she thought of a life without her big brother not by her side. Izzy was never emotional, so it was odd to see her express her feelings. "I love you, big bro. You can't just leave."

"She's right," Jace stepped forward and agreed with the younger girl. He had a deep frown on his face as he thought of his best friend leaving to live across the damned country. "You can't leave. It's unethical."

Turning to face the two he thought of as family, Alec sighed. A deep sigh that expressed how tired he was with his life. He loved them, but he was slowly loosing himself in the tundra that was the institute. With a ghost of a smile, Alec nodded his head. "I've got to leave. It's what's best for me."

"But -"

Alec cut his sister off with a hand in the air and a shake of his head. "I'm leaving for a year. I'll spend my time in Beacon Hills and then come back and be better than ever. Okay?" He sent a smile, one that would help Izzy and Jace understand just how unhappy he was.

So they agreed and later that night Alec Lightwood was going to Beacon Hills.

-

cast;

matthew daddario ; alec lightwood

-