three | keep your sexual life to yourself

"somebody's always leaving"

-jamie lawson, "cold in ohio"

-

"I miss you," Isabelle spoke into the phone speaker. There was an obvious whine in her voice that spoke straight to Alec's heart and tugged at its strings. He missed his sister and his parabatai, but he needed the separation after Max and the break up with Magnus. "Just come home. Mom and dad won't be disappointed."

Sitting down on the edge of his bed, Alec ran a tired hand over his face. The night before he was running around Beacon Hills, following two rogue Downworlders that were now with Derek Hale. He was beyond confused, but wasn't going to do anything about it because he didn't care. "Izzy, I miss you too. And you know I can't come home. I've got to get over everything before I can come back."

"I hate it when you're right," Izzy sighed. She was in the kitchen with Simon in the Institute, cooking up lunch for the them. A groan came from her and she spun on her heel, "Big brother, talk to Jace."

The voice changed on the other end of the phone. A darker, lower voice sounded and Alec's heart was pained even more. His parabatai was speaking into the phone with the saddest of smiles, "Hello, Alec."

"Hi, Jace," he responded, standing from his bed and pacing. Unbeknownst to him, Allison was peaking through the crack in his door to listen in on Alec's conversation. Scott had informed her, and the rest of the teens, that Alec was a Shadowhunter but none of them knew what that entailed. Alec leaned a hand on his desk. "How are you? Any exciting hunts?" A second paused where Alec cleared his throat, "How's Clary?"

"She's fine," Jace responded as he, too, leaned on a wall. "I'm good, you know. Surprisingly, it's been quite boring here without you. You'd think with the party pooper gone it'd be fun, but it isn't. . . Alec, I miss you. We all miss you."

With a choked voice, Alec conveyed his pain. It expressed both of them, in a way. Alec and Jace were connected with more than just friendship, but by a bond placed upon them that ensured their future. Their parabatai status was more than a brotherhood or friendship, it was a deep blood-drawn partnership that couldn't be broken, at least not for them. "I miss you, surprisingly, Wayland. Or do you go by Herondale now?"

Allison heard the teasing in his voice differing from his earlier pain. She didn't know who Jace was, but Allison's father had informed her that Alec had a younger sister that was her age and she was more ruthless. The person on the other side of the phone, Jace, responded with a laugh. As Alec turned, Allison quickly backed away from the door and quietly made her escape to her own room.

"Heard you got a job teaching," Jace spoke with a smile. "I'm not surprised. You were practically teaching Izzy everything by the time I arrived in the Institute."

"Gym teacher," Alec grinned as he paced the floor of his bedroom. Jace laughed and the two sat in a slow silence that spoke more than words. They loved each other a lot and words didn't need to be used to express it. "Reminds me of the time you asked me to show you how to work a bow."

"You and I both know that was a horrible experience and we should never bring it up again," Jace laughed, a twinkle in his eye that was rekindled after he heard Alec's laugh. The Lightwood boy closed his eyes and enjoyed the moment as it lasted. "You really were the leader of our little group, Alec. I'll never forget the time we went on our first mission together."

There was a terse silence as they reminisced in the small bubble of happiness they had created. It was wonderful remembering the memories that he had created with Jace and his sister, but Alec needed to get to work. "I have to go. I'll call you later, okay?" He paused before squeezing his eyes shut, "I love you, Jace."