3.

CHAPTER | THREE

"Look at the difference! Did I do a good job or what?"

Javon looked around impressed. "It looks good. I think I would have done a better job if I had the time, but this is pretty good."

I slapped his shoulder and he laughed, warping his arms around my waist from behind. "I'm kidding, hon. It turned out perfect."

I leaned back on his chest, admiring the newly built home. The hallways were completely different. The ugly wallpaper was torn down and in its place was a fresh coat of pale-ish pink color that matched the shiny mahogany wooden floors and the white painted edges. The light bulbs were new and lit up the house. Newly built furniture replaced all the broken ones and everything looked well-kept as if nobody dared to mistreat it.

Upon entering, there was a large hallway with framed pictures of the family: me, my son, my husband, my mama and my beloved step papa. There was a painting of a vase filled with colorful flowers on top of a long table where the keys, a basket, and a small statue of the Eiffel Tower I brought from Paris from the honeymoon. There was an opening to the left where it led to the living room and to the right led the kitchen. Right ahead, there was the staircase to the second floor and below that was the door to the basement and an empty closet.

"I went to see that elementary school for Drakon." I said, breaking the silence.

"And what did they say?" Javon whispered, his breath tickling my neck.

I giggled and pushed him away only to have him tighten his hold on me. "They said they'll accept him if he comes with me on Monday to fully register him. I think he'll like it. It's really pretty and everyone seems friendly."

Javon hummed at that, burying his face in my hair. I sighed and patted his hand. "I'm tired, hon." I said, hoping he'll catch my meaning.

Javon sighed. "Next time?"

I nodded, cocking my head and looking up at him. "Next time."

He grinned and pecked my lips. I smiled and cupped his cheek. "How's work going by the way? You managed to work it out with your boss?"

Javon shrugged. "A little bit, yeah. I just have to get up early and I'll be home later than usual on some days, but I'll manage."

"If it makes you feel any better, I'll make your favorite dishes for dinner."

"You are the reason I'll be breaking the speeding limits."

"But I'm only doing it for a few days because then you complain I'm fatting you up."

"Oh, well then fuck you."

I laughed and pulled free from his loosened grip. I went over to the living room and turned the light off. "Come on. Let's get some sleep."

Javon yawned and waited until I was halfway up the stairs before he turned the light off the hallway. He dashed up the stairs, almost bumping into me.

"Quick before the mask man gets us!" Javon joked; a joke he hadn't made since we moved to the city.

I forced a chuckle and ran to our bedroom with Javon hot on my heels. If only he knew the mask man...

-------

"I want you to behave, okay?"

"Yes, mom, I will."

"And I know this is hard for you, being in a new school and all, but try to make friends, okay?"