7.

CHAPTER | SEVEN

I yawned and stretched my arms above my head. I lazily opened my eyes and turned to face to Javon, like how I always do after a goodnight sleep, but he was not beside me.

My eyebrows furrowed and I pushed myself up on my elbows. I glanced towards his chair where he usually leaves his clothes and suitcase prepared for work.

It was empty.

I frowned. It was unusually for him to leave without waking me up. Even when he was late, he'd kiss me and bolt through the front door, cursing loudly at the tables or plant pots that stood in his way.

I didn't wake to a kiss or foul cursing.

It was then that my phone beeped and I reached over to grab it. I turned it on and momentarily was blinded by the light. I blinked a couple of times and read the message.

I had to come in earlier than the usual time. My boss is making schedule changes and I forgot to tell you last night. I'll see you around nine.

-Javon

My fingers hovered over the keyboard and after a couple of minutes; I replied with a quick okay and kicked the blankets off. I scratched my stomach and I gasped when I read the time.

"Drakon!" I shouted, running down the hall and throwing open his bedroom door. "Drakon, wake up! We're late for school!"

I shook him hard and he yelled in surprise. I stopped and we shared alarmed looks. A second later, we hurriedly dressed up and ran to the school.

"Why... didn't you... set your alarm, mom?!" Drakon asked, panting as we turned the corner.

"Your dad... forgot to wake me up! Blame... it on him!" I snapped and slowed down once we were steps away from the school's heavy metal red doors. "You behave, okay?"

Drakon nodded, to out of breath to answer. I kissed his forehead and watched as he walked towards the teachers who held the doors open for late-comers.

I sighed and spun around, heading back home. I shivered as the chilly autumn wind swept through, blowing leaves around in circles.

I stuffed my hands in sweatpants and when I got to my front door, my stomach dropped.

I left my keys inside.

I closed my eyes and slowly breathed in, trying hard not to scream for my stupidity. I turned the knob.

"Of course it'll be locked." I mumbled to myself and checked the windows. They were all closed. I circled the house and found my old bedroom window open.

I frowned. Since when was that open? I always left it locked and that window hasn't been opened in years. Maybe when I was looking through old memories, I left it open.

I thought hard about it and shook it off when another chilly wind had me shiver. I looked around the ruined yard for something to climb on. I found an old wooden lawn chair and stood on it just to test it.

I brought it under the window and used the oddly bricks that stood out to climb up. I had used this method all the time when I was younger to escape during night. Mama was usually too drunk to notice I was gone and I could even use the front door without setting off the alarm, but I wanted to feel the adrenaline.

Plus, where was the fun in walking through front doors?

I was almost half way up there when a bird squawked right behind me. I jumped and lost my holding. I landed on my side, barely missing the lawn chair. I groaned and turned the other way where my eyes met a pair of crossed black boots.