41.

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Javon crossed his arms over his chest and looked at me. "What the fuck did you want to sell your soul?"

"I didn't! It's a long story, but look, Miss Witch person, I need to go back to the living world. Please, my-my son needs me. He can't—" I took a few steps forward when the thing in the water started to rise up.

The long black hair somehow grew longer and perfectly covered the naked, pale body until her upper thighs. Her feet dangled a few centimeters from the muddy water and her hands lay still at her sides. The black eyes were still locked on me and I took a small step back.

"What is done cannot be undone." It said in a gentle breeze-like voice. It almost put me at ease when her words sank in.

"There-There has to be something I can do! Please, I know I have probably begged before, but please. I have a son. He went through hell because of what your shadow monster put him through!" I paused, swallowing down a lump in my throat, "Please, I want my son. I want to be with him."

"No. What is done cannot be undone." She repeated, the voice becoming more firm. She moved her hand in a go-ahead motion and suddenly the fog around us started to pool around our feet. It moved around us in a clockwise motion until it started to twirl up behind the witch. It took a shape of two monsters that reminded me of the shadow monster, but somehow it looked tamer.

The shadow monsters started to come forward and Javon grabbed my arm.

"We gotta go, Varia." Javon whispered.

"No, no. Wait, please! I can do something for you! Please!" I shouted as Javon pulled me back.

"What is done—" She started to say when I yanked free from Javon's grip.

"It can be undone!" I cried out, making the white fog things stop in its track, "Tristian made a deal and he broke it, right? What if I make a new deal with you?"

The witch cocked its head and the corners of its lips tugged up. "That deal has been closed for a long time."

"But he never finished what he started. What if I picked up where he left? In exchange, you give me my life back with no more death and being reborn."

"You do not wish for immortality?"

I shook my head. "I want to live until I die of old age... with my son and Tristian by my side."

The witch started to hover towards us and Javon took a step back. I stood still as I locked my eyes with hers.

"Anything else you desire?" She asked. I blinked and thought for a moment.

"I want you to let Harry Vale rest in peace. I want your monsters to leave me and my family alone. I want my life back... and I want Javon to come back," I looked back at him and he stared at me in shock, "He had nothing to do with this and he shouldn't be dead because of me."

I looked back at the witch and her lips were pulled into a straight line. "Harry Vale is one of my most prized monsters. I cannot simply let him go."

"Like Javon, Harry did nothing wrong. I was the one who hurt him when I fell in love with Tristian. I heard after some time of my first death, he moved on and died happily. He deserves to rest peacefully."

"You want so much out of me and yet, you offer such little in return. I would say that is a bit unfair, wouldn't you agree?" She leaned over me, her cold face a few inches away from mine. I opened and closed my lips like a fish out of water as I tried to think of something else to offer when she leaned back and turned around, floating away. She waved her hand over her shoulder and the shadow monsters grabbed me and Javon.