16.

CHAPTER | SIXTEEN

"Are you sure Mr. Bran isn't going to get mad at you for closing his store early?" Drakon asked for the tenth time.

I sucked in a sharp breath and took off my gloves. "I'm one hundred percent positive, baby." Drakon stared at me and I scoffed. "Okay, I'm ninety-nine percent sure he won't be mad. Better?"

Drakon sighed and unraveled his scarf. "Did we close because of dad?"

I shook my head, unzipping my jacket. "No, honey. It's just that my feet are killing me today."

Drakon handed me his jacket and I hooked it up in the closet and nudged to my room. "Go watch my TV. I'll start cooking dinner."

Drakon beamed and raced to upstairs. "I want mac 'n' cheese!"

"Coming up!" I shouted and headed to the kitchen.

I got everything out and waited until I heard the TV on to check the voicemail. I clicked the button and flipped through the messages until I heard his voice.

"Hey, Varia. I tried calling you on your cell phone, but I guess it's not going through. Anyway, I'm just letting you know I'll be stopping by tomorrow so that we could talk. Love you."

The message ended and I went back to the counter. I leaned against it and shook my head. Of course he wasn't going to come today. I would have received multiple text messages. He wasn't the type to leave voicemails. It just wasn't him.

I yawned and went on to prepare Drakon's dinner. I was half way done when the doorbell rung and Drakon came down the stairs, already dressed in his pajamas.

"S-Stay here." I said to him and went to the front door.

I peeked through the peephole, but it was too dark to see anything. I took a deep breath in and opened the door.

Javon stood there, same as always. His curly hair was tucked away in a hat. He was dressed entirely in black I noticed. His coat, scarf, jeans, and shoes were black. I wanted to say what was up with that, but I kept it to myself.

"Not even a hello?" He said, waving his hands around.

I cleared my throat and folded my arms. "What do you want? I thought I gave you all your stuff."

Javon chuckled and grabbed a bag I hadn't noticed was there. He pushed himself in and I glared behind his back. I took a quick look outside and closed the door.

"Hiya, sport!" Javon greeted.

"Hi, dad." Drakon said in a flat tone, folding his arms over his chest.

Javon scoffed. "Like mother and son." He commented, dropping his bag.

"What's in there?" I asked, nudging the bag.

"My stuff. What else would be there?" Javon said and sniffed the air. "Ooh, mac 'n' cheese!"

My mouth popped open and I followed Javon to the kitchen, motioning Drakon to go to his room. "Y-Your stuff?"

"Uh-hmm." He said and turned off the stove. "You should have made more. This won't reach for us three."

I narrowed my eyes and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Three? You said we needed to talk, not sit and eat as if nothing happened."

Javon looked over his shoulder and frowned. "And aren't we talking right now?"

I stared at him confused. "No. We need to talk as in, what is going to be the next step in our relationship."

Javon's eyebrows scrunched up and suddenly his expression changed to smug. "Ah, yes!" He dropped the spoon back in the small pot and straightened up. "I've been thinking if we take those, um, therapy couple things."

"Marriage counseling?"

"Yes, that. I think this whole move and my job just messed us up. There's no need for us to get divorced. That's a silly and unacceptable idea."

My glare returned full-on and I swallowed hard. "Are you even hearing yourself right now?"

Javon stepped in front of me and pulled me against him. I put my hands against his chest and leaned away.

"You know, I never stopped thinking of you." He whispered, his lips close to mine. "Especially when I was all my lonesome in bed."

I turned my head and pushed at his chest, but he wouldn't budge. "I don't want to be with you." I stated as coldly as I could muster.

Javon only chuckled at that and he cupped the back of my head, my hair tangling with his fingers. He pushed my head close to his. His minty breath hit my check and I cringed. "You're mine and only mine, dear. I don't care how much you want to be with your lover. I refuse to let that happen and if I ever see him around you, I'll make sure he won't ever touch what is mine ever again."

I narrowed my eyes at him and something overcame me. I went on my tiptoes and met eye-to-eye to Javon. "Well, then I guess you're going to have to get rid of me too because I refuse to let you touch him."

Javon laughed and stepped back. He wagged his finger and picked up his bag. "I guess I'll just head back to the city."

I rubbed my neck and narrowed my eyes. "Good idea."

-------

I finished drying the dishes and Drakon came in, rubbing one eye and mouth wide open as he yawned. "Can I sleep with you today? I'm scared dad is going to come sneaking in and start yelling with you."

I forced a chuckle to lighten the mood and wiped down the counter. "Of course you can. Go get your blanket and teddy bear then. I'll be there in a few."

Drakon nodded and headed upstairs. I started putting the dishes away and I noticed how quiet everything was.

I took a deep breathe in and heard the screen door creak. Not a second later, I heard three soft knocks. My lips involuntarily lifted into a smile and I opened the back door.

"Has he done anything to you?" Tristian hurriedly asked.

I shook my head and held a finger to my lips. "No." I whispered, drying my hands on my shirt. "He only talked and then left."

"Only talked?" Tristian asked perplexed, tilting his head

"Yeah, only talked." I said with a shrug.

Tristian seemed to find it hard to believe and watched as I put everything away. I grabbed all the mugs and went on my tiptoes to put it away when Tristian's hand grabbed the one I was reaching for.

His gloved hand covered mine and I looked up. I expected him to recoil the second our hands met, but he only gave my hand a squeeze.

I swallowed hard, noticing we were getting closer to each other. His other hand sneaked around my waist and I brought my hand up to his cold cheek.

My fingers started tracing the lips of the mask and I licked my lower lip.

"Why do you wear a mask, Tristian?" I whispered, unknowingly breaking my rules of asking personal questions. When I realized what I had asked, I pulled my hand and was about to excuse myself when he ordered to close my eyes.

I lifted an eyebrow and he nodded as if saying yes, I heard him right. I reluctantly closed my eyes and his warmth disappeared for a second. I started thinking he left when I felt his breath on my lips. Instinct told me to my eyes, but I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Keep them closed." He said quietly, his lips only barely touching mine. I weakly nodded and I felt my heart beating out of my chest as his gloved hand cupped my cheek. I felt my face get hot and I found it hard to keep my eyes close.

"K-Kiss me." I blurted out quietly.

A second later, I felt his warm lips on mine.