18.

CHAPTER | EIGHTEEN

The kettle started whistling loudly and Tristian got up with a sigh. My eyes followed him as I leaned on my cheek on my palm.

He moved around the kitchen as if he lived here. He knew where I kept the mugs, the tea bags, and honey. He poured the hot water in one of my big mugs and dipped in the tea bag.

He finally took off his long coat and stood there just with a long sleeve black turtleneck with a light sweatshirt. His hood covered his hair and ears, much to my disappointment. His sweatpants seemed to be tighter without his long coat on.

I quickly looked away when Tristian came over and placed the tea in front of me. I muttered thanks and played around with the tea bag.

Tristian folded his arms over the table and sighed again. "It wasn't your fault."

I sniffled and took a small sip. "I know it wasn't. I just can't help it. If I—"

"You could not have done anything to change what was in store for her. No amount of 'ifs' can change it. There was no way you could have known."

I ran my hands through my hair and teared up. "She didn't deserve it, Tristian. She didn't deserve going out the way she did."

"People are the most creative creatures on Earth. It's... horrible how it can be used in so many ways."

I took a deep breath in and dried my eyes. "I hate people."

Tristian softly chuckled and reached across the table. He warped his fingers around my arms and slowly lowered my arms. He held my hands and rubbed my knuckles until I looked at him.

"I hate people, too."

I forced a small smile and glanced at the time on the microwave.

It was only ten.

I yawned and Tristian pulled away as he stood up. "You should take a nap before you pick up Drakon from school." He said as if he read my mind.

I nodded and drank the rest of my tea as Tristian pulled on his coat. I quickly washed the mug and dried my hands as Tristian opened the back door.

He paused halfway out the door and looked back at me. "If you need anything, you know where to find me."

I nodded and he left with a small wave. Throwing the hand towel on the counter, I turned off the lights and dragged my feet up the steps.

I yawned again and grabbed my phone as I laid on the bed with a heavy sigh. I scrolled through my music on my phone and played "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. I put my phone down on the nightstand and turned over on my stomach.

I tucked my hands under my pillow and hummed along until I felt my eyes give out towards the ending of the song.

It didn't feel like five seconds had passed by when I was woken up by someone's arm draped over my waist.

My heart jumped to my throat and I wanted to turn around, but my body was frozen. I couldn't move and my eyes slowly opened to see the moonlight cast shadows over the bed.

I started to panic and as I looked around the room, my heart calmed down to its normal rate. This wasn't my bedroom. There were no windows in my bedroom and I didn't remember lighting a candle or owning a cabin.

From the candlelight and the moonlight, I could see the cabin was homemade, old, and disorganized. There were leaves everywhere and clothes. The old squeaky mattress was on the floor and chair next to me held some books and the candle.