31.

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Drakon scooted closer to me, his nose twitching as he mumbled something under his breath. I bought the blankets over his head, tucking the blanket under his chin so he could breathe. I gently tapped his back until he settled down like as he was a newborn.

I looked up, catching Javon's smirk as he rocked back and forth on the chair he grabbed from the kitchen. He propped his legs on the door frame, the chair squeaking as he leaned back and rubbed his face. He let out a loud sigh and dug his fingers into his hair.

"Little pig, little pig, when are you gonna let me in?" Javon spoke and slapped his hands on his knees. "Seriously, this was not how I planned it to go in my head."

I glanced over at Tristian, who looked away from the window for a split second before returning to stare at the window. I pursed my lips and looked down at Drakon.

It had been about a day since Javon showed up, revealing that he was actually Harry Vale—no wait, revealing that he was possessed by Harry Vale.

Or so I assumed.

Tristian hadn't talked to me the second Javon introduced me as "Harry Vale". I was able to see how quickly he shut himself down and wouldn't even look at me.

A million questions ran through my head, but no one wanted to answer me. Whenever I asked Tristian, Javon got in between and Tristian quickly turned away. Whenever I asked Javon, he would simply say I needed to remember what I had done.

But what did I do?

What did I do to deserve this? What did I do to cause all of this?

Not just long ago, everything was fine. Javon and I loved each other. My son loved his father. We were happy. We were living our happily ever after!

But since my mama died, everything changed. Since we moved here, Javon changed. I changed. My son changed. And I felt like I was always lost. Nothing made sense. I no longer knew who was who.

I didn't understand anything.

I sucked in a shaky breath and looked up again. Javon seemed to sense something because he was leaning in as far as he could without breaking the invisible barrier. His eyes flickered to black before returning to normal and my grip on Drakon tightened.

"Do you want me?" I asked, my voice hoarse from the lack of use and water.

Javon rubbed his chin and closed one eye. "Yeeesh."

"Why me?" I asked. Tristian looked over his shoulder at us.

"I want you because of him," He said, nudging his chin at Tristian up and pushing the chair back, "I'm here to take back what's mine."

"And what do you mean by that... Harry?" I said, carefully using the name Javon introduced himself as.

"You seriously don't remember?" Javon grinned, and turned towards Tristian, "You haven't told her anything? Bro, c'mon. You didn't have a problem saying anything before."

"Told me what?" I asked, looking at Tristian. His jaw clenched and his hands curled into fists.

"I was trying to protect her this time." Tristian stated and Javon laughed.

"Oh please! She was a goner when you rescued her from the big bad wolf."

Drakon stirred in his sleep and I quickly settled him in the nest of blankets, clothes, and pillows I made next to me on the corner of the room. I stood up, my legs shaking from the lack of use.