Chapter 3

Several years passed as Carlos trained Ruther up as his own. Stamina, skill, endurance, everything was built up and strengthened as he was turned into a proper knight. Ruther got his own armor, gear, and quickly earned trust in the ranks. He eventually met a woman named Mallory. She was a beautiful blonde woman with blue eyes. Her and Ruther slowly fell in love as time drifted by. One day he and Mallory got married and moved onto several acres of land, given to him in exchange for his service. Along with assistance from some friends Ruther built a home for the two of them to live in. All was well and happy for the two as life went on.

Ruther awoke in bed one morning as he stretched and smiled.
"Good morning my love."
No response was given. He then looked over to see she was not in bed beside of him.
"She must be downstairs somewhere." Ruther then got up and put on some clothes and headed downstairs. "Mallory," he called.
Still no answer. He searched everywhere all over the home. "Mallory? Where are you?"
He looked in the garden, but she was not there.
"Hm. I guess I'll see if she is in town." He then got dressed in some better clothes as he headed for the door. As he went out he shut the door behind him and suddenly heard a loud metal clang. He turned around and saw a dagger on his doorstep with a note beside of it with a hole in the top where the dagger was.
It read "We have been watching you and you wife for a long time now. We are a group of men called The Dark Sickle. We have not killed her as of right now, but have taken her away to a place that is unknown to many. We know you are the best knight in the order, and have taken the opportunity to see if you are truly what they say you are. Find her in time and she is yours again, but take too long and she will be ours. Good luck to you... Ruther."
A painted black sickle is at the bottom right corner of the letter. Ruther then drops the paper shaking as he runs inside.
"No no no... It cannot be... Wake up Ruther Wake up!"
He then falls to his knees and cries. "Why?!... Why must this happen?!"
He soon stops crying and says, "Come on Ruther. Get ahold of yourself. You are a knight, and knights are supposed to be brave. She isn't dead yet, there still is hope."
He then gets up and grabs his gear. As he is putting it on he hears something in his attic fall and break. He climbs his ladder and goes up to investigate. A pot fell over and lies shattered on the floor. Next to the pile of shards is another piece of paper with a black sickle on the bottom right corner.
It reads "A pathway of stones cannot be walked across unless all stones are in place."
"Until all stones are in place," says Ruther while scratching his head, "What does that mean?...Hm. I guess I should show this to Carlos and see what he thinks."
Ruther goes back down the ladder holding the letter. He then puts his armor back on the armor rack and his weapons back in place. He puts the letter in his pocket and leaves his home to go see Carlos.