5 (edited)

Usually, I was a calm father. I'd do anything for my children, day and night. 

However, I can't say the same for Jie.

We adopted Jie when we first got married, as soon as we could. It was almost as if we stepped out of the church and into the adoption centre. 

And by almost as if, I mean that happened. At the time, Jie was 8 or 9. We knew that age would be difficult, kids had been through the system for many years of their lives and had gotten used to feeling so unloved. We were going to do our best to give such a young girl a permanent, loving home. But we didn't know how difficult that would be. 

Once we had finished the adoption process, Jie was brought to our home. She was scared, and all of her clothes and toys were stuffed into breaking bin-bags. 

She had soon settled in, and almost immediately we saw the deeper problems.

"Jie, sweetie, come here." Namjoon would ask her.

She would never come and instead would go into fits of rage. After 10 years of trying to make her see the world as we saw it, we had to give up. Jie was 18 and could leave us without any permission. 

As she moved away, we started to think of adopting younger boys. We thought they'd be much easier to handle than Jie was, and we loved the boys. And soon enough, they loved us too.

Jie hadn't come to see us in 3 years. She was travelling around America and had lost focus on education. 

Now, every time her name was spoken in the house, a glance of pain and disappointment would come between myself and Namjoon. A sense that we had failed to do the one thing we adopted her for; to raise her.

Until today, Jie had never reached out to us.

"Daddy! Someone's at the door!" called Yoongi from the living room.

Confusion hit me. Nobody was meant to be here today. Preparations were in place for Namjoon and I's 15th Wedding Anniversary, and so the weekend was almost empty.

I rushed to the door, trying to peak at who it was. As I turned the key and pushed down the handle, a sense of anxiety grew. 

"Dad," smiled a young woman who was tidy and happy in her appearance "I'm sorry I didn't call, but I was in town. Can I come in?"