Chapter 2: Ready to Drop

Last Edited 6/29/16 9:58pm

Mom had been fumbling with her keys, trying to find the correct one to unlock the dark wood front door to our house for the past five minutes since we arrived home from he hospital. I grumbled impatiently to myself and shifted my weight from foot to foot wanting to go upstairs to my room and sleep in an actual comfy bed instead of the stupid hospital one that I bet someone had died in. Yeah, gross, it makes me shiver just thinking about it. I hate hospitals. Even though it's like my second home and that I'm there for someone to save my life, it's still nasty. Yuck.

Shifting side to side, I readjusted my backpack that was hanging on by one shoulder.

My mom must have heard me starting to get impatient because she told me to be quiet while she kept on sifting through her loud jingling keys. She had like, fifty thousand different keys on that tiny little ring connected to the one used to start the car.

Why does she have so many keys in the first place? We only have locks on the front door and back door. Why must she have so many? I have no idea with her anymore. I stopped questioning her awhile back when I realized she is just as weird as I am sometimes.

I exhaled a long breath silently to myself. I was starting to get tired from standing here and even colder than I was I the car, though it was not even that cold outside. At the moment it was around fifty two degrees fahrenheit, since it was in the season of autumn. To me though, it felt like it was in the thirties.

"Ah-Ha," Mom exclaimed suddenly, facing the door. She must have found it, finally. "Mom, you should really label those keys. We wouldn't have these kinds of problems anymore," I said watching as she tried to shove the gold looking key into the lock. "Yeah, yeah. I know. You say that all the time. I just never get around to doing it," she tells me with furrowed brows when the key didn't work. I knew it wasn't going to work the first time anyways, like always. I sighed and leaned against the house waiting and growing tired, not because I was impatient, but because my legs unexpectedly stared to feel heavy and my eyes wanting to close.

My mom must have noticed because she widened her eyes when she looked over at me and fumbled a bit more with her keys, knowing that I was starting to get sleepy. "Sorry Ava, I know your tired. I will try and get these labeled soon," she apologized quickly almost like she was scared. I exhaled an irritated breath, but didn't say anything aloud.

They always apologize for every little thing, my family I mean. I know they want to make things as easy as they can for me, but I don't  want them to feel sorry for me or apologize all the time. All I want is to be treated normally, but I get it though. They just wanted to help me, but I hated it when they did so.

I just nodded to her, closed my eyes, and leaned against our bricked two story house, waiting and feeling colder by the minute. I didn't understand why I was suddenly so cold. I just held my pastel blue sweater closer to my body as well as my arms.

I heard mom give an angry grumble and started to mumble to herself saying "Damn keys," as I had my eyes closed trying not to fall asleep or off the porch. Then, all the sudden, I hear the door knob move, the door swinging open, and my dad barreling through to get to my mom. I opened my eyes to see the image of my mom and dad hugging each other, missing one another greatly.

My mom and Dad truly loved each other and have stayed strong throughout the difficult years with me and this stupid sickness of mine. They knew what real love was and how to get over obstacles in the way. I admired them for that.

Now suddenly noticing it since we left the horrid place earlier, my mom looked as tired as I was. Her shoulders were sagged, she had bags under her eyes from sleeping on the uncomfortable couch, and her strawberry blond hair was in a very messy looking ponytail.