Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

“I'm going mental,” I murmured as I paced around the carpeted area where the fight just occurred. “I'm finally going mental.”

I rubbed my eyes and looked up at Danny and Hades again. Yup, they're still sitting there. Danny was sitting forward in his chair, his chin in hands as he watched my every move. Hades, on the other hand, was leaning back on his wooden chair, feet crossed and eyes closed.

I hesitantly walked up to them and poked Hades's soft cheek. My finger connected with flesh and it made a indentation.

“What are you doing?” Hades asked skeptically.

“You're real,” I gasped, my eyes wide.

“No shit Sherlock,” he muttered before opening his eyes,uncrossing his legs and standing up.

“Where's Macy?” I asked, looking around frantically before my eyes landed on a familiar red headed girl.

I waved my hand in front of her blank face. No response.

“I think he used a body freezing gaze.” added Danny from his chair.

“Maybe we should hit her or something. That's how they wake other people up,” mumbled Hades while he looked for a weapon.

“What about Amy?” I asked, not processing what he'd said.

“She went to some publishing convention. She'll be gone for the majority of the week.” Danny explained.

“Where's that all in one A-Z encyclopedia, Danny?” Hades called from the shelf over.

“Why?” I asked before Danny could answer.

“To wake Macy up, duh,” he said as if that was the most obvious thing in the world.

“What?!” I squealed. “You're going to hit her with it?!”

“No, I'm going to going to read her a bedtime story,” he said sarcastically.

After a victorious 'Ah ha!' Hades came back with a 700 page book in his hand.

“Would you like to do the honors?” he offered, holding the book out.

I took it with partial reluctance. “Well, someone's gotta do it,” I muttered before stepping behind her frozen body. “And this is what she gets for forcing me in those heels on more than one occasion...”

I positioned the book so it was above her head before a thought struck me. “Wait!” I squealed. “She doesn't know about any of this... demon werewolf thing!”

“Well then tell her,” piped Danny.

“Uhh..” I mumbled, deep in thought.

A deep cough made me drop the book on her hard head and jump away.

The thick book hit her head and it rebounded slightly before falling to the ground with a loud thump.

“That was convenient,” Hades said, grinning.

I glared at him until I heard Macy groan. “What the hell..?”

She was rubbing her skull in smooth strokes, her eyes slightly drooped.

“Uhmm...” I stated brightly.

“What happened?” she asked groggily, flattening her hair down.

“Well, what do you remember?” asked Danny from somewhere behind me.

Her eyes shot up to him and her eyes widened. “Is that Danny?” she whispered to me, leaning over slightly, her eyes never leaving him.

“Yes,” I answered, glad I got to answer one question truthfully.

“Well, I uh... I remember a man... he was pretty hot. Like Brad Pitt hot, but he sort of had a Ashton Kutcher look to him, you know what I mean? Some Orlando Bloom to 'em too, it was pretty sexy...” she stopped babbling when she realized she was doing it.

“That's all?” Hades asked. Macy seemed confused to see him at first but realization dawned on her.

“Yeah...” she said quietly, her eyes raking the room suspiciously. “Hey, what happened that shelf?”

She gestured to a shelf that many books had flown out of, most likely from the man when he flew into it.

“Macy, listen to me. Don't freak out but...Let's see, how do I put this..?”

“You're best pal's a werewolf,” Hades added bluntly, as if he were talking about the weather.

“What?” she chuckled, shaking her head back and fourth. “Maybe you hit your head or something... We should get you to a doctor—”

“He's not kidding, May.” I said quietly.

She blinked at me for a second before saying, “You really think I'm going to fall for that?”

I sighed before letting my glamor go. It took her a second to realize it, but when she did, her eyes when wide.

“Oh, my god,” she breathed. “How—? When—?”

“15th birthday. Dark ally. Blood. Hospital. Ring a bell? But I suppose it's not possible to be able to become a werewolf unless you were born like one. But that man back there,” I explained, watching her expression carefully. “He was a demon. He said to come with him for some reason... He ended up fighting me and then he just disappeared. Aaand that's where these bozos come in.”

We shifted all out attention to Danny and Hades who looked at us uncomfortably.

Hades was the first one to recover. He said, with a grin, “We're demon hunters, girlies. Sort of like a bounty hunter in demon form, I guess.”