Chapter 4

My nerves for the first day of my new job were completely unnecessary, I realised that as soon as I walked into the bright, modern building that was now my place of work. I was introduced to the other teachers and surprisingly they weren't all old and uptight like I had been imagining them, most of them were middle aged with the few exceptions of younger people such as a myself.

There was even a young teacher- Lidia- who spoke English fluently, which was a huge relief, we quickly became friends as she showed me to my classes and we ate lunch together. Lidia was typically spanish with her flawless, olive skin and dark curly long hair. She wasn't text book beautiful, but she was the girl next door innocent type of beautiful. Lidia was fun, and genuine, I could already tell we could be good friends.

My classes we great, even if some of the students were amused by my accent and teased me a little, I could handle that, the jokes were lighthearted and fun. One boy, Antonio, asked if I could teach him French instead of English because he just didn't like English, but he didn't expect me to pull out my conversational french skills to tell him to shut up. They let me joke around with them while also accepting me as the new person in charge. Basically, it was a good school, and it was full of good kids.

So, on the whole, my first day was amazing, I could tell I was going to love this job. The journey home however, not so much. My car was still a couple of days away so I chose to take a nice brisk 30 minute walk home in the hot Madrid sun. I didn't mind really, I loved walking, I even traded my heels for flats before I left and I was getting used to the new climate. It was only the intricate spanish streets that deterred me. They all looked the same!

Each one had rows of little houses with grey tile roofs, a pretty white door, an average car in the drive and multi coloured flowers blooming on the lawn. Every street was paved in the same light grey concrete only broken occasionally by a great green tree that offered a little shade from the demanding sun. And so, long story short, I was lost. Nobody was even around so I couldn't ask for directions and the GPS on my phone was less use than a chocolate teapot.

To put it accurately, I was fucked.

After looking around and making sure I had no other options I reluctantly pulled out my phone and pressed call on the one name that might be able to help me right now. For some unknown reason my palms began to get a little sweaty as I held the phone to my ear, he answered on the second ring.

"Olivia?" I ignored the way my heart fluttering like a teenage Fangirl as he said my name.

"Oh erm hi Sergio" I cleared my throat nervously. "So what are you doing right now?"

"Now? Nothing. Why, you want to do something?" The eagerness in his voice made me grin.

"Well, that's the thing..." I blushed a little, embarrassed to reveal my predicament. "I'm kinda a little bit lost"

He chuckled softly on the other end of the line. "Where are you? Look for a street sign"

I span around on the spot looking for a sign that would reveal where I was. "Calle Amana. You know it?"

I could almost hear his smile as he spoke "yeah I know it, stay where you are. Ill pick you up, I'll be there in ten minutes"

"You're a lifesaver Sergio. Thank you" I thanked The Lord that I at least knew one nice person in this town.

"No worries, bye" we both hung up, leaving me stood on the corner of the street like a cheap hooker. Except I was wearing nice, professional work clothes. And I didn't look like a hooker at all.

At least I hope.

No sooner had I begun to get lost in my thoughts than Sergio pulled up beside me in a shiny monstrosity.