five

My car troubles don't seem to be a temporary thing, I quickly realize, as it refuses to start for the second time in two days. I check my watch and conclude that I only have 10 minutes to make it to school on time. I decide to walk - well, actually it's my only option because my dad went in to work early today. I pick up my backpack off the passenger seat and fling it over my shoulder, shutting my car door, and beginning the trek to school. I've barely made it a block when my phone vibrates in my pocket. Without thinking, I slide my thumb across the screen and open the message.

Harry: Car trouble again?

I stop dead in my tracks, staring down at the message and double checking that I read it right. Hesitantly, I look up and scan my surroundings for any sign of the curly-haired boy. My confusion only grows when I don't see anything that would indicate he's around. As I contemplate how - or if - I should reply, a garage door across the street opens. Out of the corner of my eye I notice the bright white color of the car inside and a figure emerging onto the driveway.

"Of course," I mutter as I turn my head and make eye contact with Harry.

Shoving my phone back in my pocket, I look both ways quickly before heading across the street. Harry leans against the side of the house and waits patiently for me to come to him. With each step I take, my heart beats a little faster. My combat boots make a crunching sound against the gravel of Harry's driveway as they take me toward him. Once I'm within a few feet, I stop and cross my arms over my chest nervously. Harry eyes me from head to toe quickly, that signature smirk playing on his lips.

"Looks like you need a new car," he teases.

"Maybe I just really like to walk," I retort.

Harry raises his eyebrows, "So I shouldn't offer you a ride..?"

My shoulders rise up and drop back down, "That's your call."

"You're so difficult," he comments as he steps into the garage and takes the driver's seat.

He brings the car to life and looks over his shoulder at me expectantly. I check the time on my phone and realize that if I walk I'll definitely be late. Quickly, I jog over and duck inside, closing the door with a hard thud.

"Easy with my baby," Harry teasingly scolds.

"Sorry," I mutter.

He slowly backs the car out of the driveway and speeds off down the street. Although I don't want to, I have to admit the way he drives is incredibly sexy. Again, he steers with his left hand as his right hangs off the center console, looking utterly at ease. Harry was made for this car.

"So I guess we really do live close to one another," he comments.

I fiddle with the frayed ends of my high waisted shorts, "Yep."

Harry's hand unexpectedly brushes against my arm, causing me to flinch. With wide eyes I look over at him, expecting to see him laughing at my jumpy ways. Instead, he's looking at me as if he's waiting for something. It takes me a few seconds to realize his palm is face up and outstretched toward me. What does he want me to do with that? I think, still staring down at his hand.

"You're supposed to hold it," Harry states, amusement prominent in his tone.

My face scrunches up, "Why would I do that?"

Harry rolls his eyes and takes my hand, intertwining our fingers. I don't fight against him, knowing it will be pointless. My hand rests against the center console, pressed to Harry's as he clutches onto my fingers. At first I'm annoyed by his actions but find myself welcoming the warmth his hand provides. Reluctantly, I close my fingers around the back of Harry's hand, causing a huge smile to appear on his face.