nine

The hallway seems more packed than usual as I duck through thick clusters of people on my way to my last class of the day. The art hallway is usually pretty empty other than this weird group of stoners who kick around a hacky sack. Today there are people scattered all along the narrow pathway, putting me in an even worse mood. I just hate school; everything about it irritates me, especially all the people. One more hour I remind myself as I squeeze through two freshman boys who are standing directly in the middle of the hallway. Suddenly my hand is captured and without thinking I yank it away and swivel around to give whoever touched me an earful.

My angry gaze settles on an amused curly haired boy and immediately softens. My irritation washes away as my eyes lock with his green ones, my frown turning into a small smile. Harry reaches out for my hand again and I slip my fingers in between his, wrapping my other hand around his forearm.

"I'd say somebody's having a rough day," he teases as he gives my hand a soft squeeze.

I shrug, "I'm just ready to go home, I'm tired."

Harry frowns slightly, "You didn't sleep well last night?"

My lips curl up in a smile as I shake my head, "No, I slept great thanks to you. I don't know why I'm so tired, I think school just exhausts me."

"Well we could take a nap together after school if you want," he offers with a cheeky smirk playing on his lips.

I chuckle, "Something tells me we wouldn't be doing much sleeping if we took a nap together."

"You're probably right, but we could try. My parents don't get home from work 'til late, so we could hang at my place."

"Aren't you sick of me yet?!"

Harry bends down and kisses just below my ear, "I could never be sick of you, babe."

I scoff, "We'll see about that."

"So is that a yes..?" he presses, leaning down so we're at eye level and giving me his best pouty face.

My index finger traces his jutted out bottom lip, "Sure. I mean I can't really say no considering you're my ride."

"Oh yes, I had forgotten all about that little detail."

We've just reached the door to the art room and Harry ushers for me to enter first, letting go of my hand. I step across the threshold and make my way to my station, gathering my supplies along the way. I set everything up and reach into my bag for my headphones, prepared to shut the world out for the last 50 minutes and finish my painting. Just as I click on my favorite playlist and am about to get in my zone, Harry snatches my headphones out of my hand.

"Harry," I groan, extending my hand to try and take them back from him.

He easily holds them out of my reach as he talks, "I forgot to tell you: I talked to Ian earlier."

I nearly choke on the air I'm inhaling, "W-what about?"

"You. We straightened everything out," he says casually.

The speed at which my heart beat accelerates with each second that ticks by is unnatural. All the possible things Ian could have told Harry run through my head. I knew Harry would be wanting answers but I never expected he'd go to Ian looking for them. I should have just told him myself what happened, but it's a little late for that now.

"Yeah, he told me how he accidentally brought Jonah up and it upset you. He said he feels really bad about it." Oh.

My throat feels thick, "That's what he told you?"